Races And Retribution

Start from the beginning

Before Bianca could respond principal Weems spoke up from the back of the docs where the rest of the students sat. Adjusting her coat around her as she began her speech.

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allen Poe Cup. This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island. Pull a flag from Crackstones Crypt and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. First team across the finish line wins."

Everyone hoisted there rows, shook off their last nerves and readied their boats as a gun was raised into the air. A gunshot rang out and Weems yelled: "Let the Poe Cup commence!"

The boats all rocketed forward through the water. The crowd cheered as the canoes pulled further and further into the river. Bianca in her boat scanned the shoreline until she found another student standing by the river. She nodded to him and in an instance he dived into the water. His legs morphed together and grew into a log mermaid tail as he sped off towards the boats.

Meanwhile another team pulled up beside The Black Cats. By order of the leader an axe attached to the side of the boat swung out at the cats. Wednesday and Enid ducked out of the way as their boat pulled forward. 

From the water below the mermaid boy reached the axe wielding boat as he began to push against it. The team aboard futiley tried to row against it but were only pushed further and further towards the shore. And with one final push the canoe crashed against the rocks and splayed the riders in the water.

The other boats continued on with the Black Cats in the lead. Wednesday scanned the surface of the water as she continued to row only for her eyes to catch a burst of sudden movement. She then pulled out a spy glass as she spotted a mermaid tail diving back into the lake.

She motioned down to the hand beside her, "Thing." she nodded.

In an instant the disembodied hand pulled a lever beside him as a net shot out from the boat into the water. The mermaid boy turned to try and dodge the rope but was caught in the trap falling to the lake floor.

Back above the surface The Jokers reached land first and hastily dashed into the woods. The Black Cats followed up and stood to follow them. But before she continued Wednesday stopped and turned to Enid.

"Stay here and make sure Bianca can't sabotage our boat." she said.

Enid nodded as Wednesday took off into the woods. Looking back towards the water the young werewolf watched as Bianca and her team were about to make land. Sighing to herself she looked down at the hand bellow her and spoke.

"Thing I need you to distract a couple of Jokers."

In the woods two Jokers came in sight of the flags as Wednesday came in behind them.

Meanwhile the other two Jokers readied the boat to take off as soon as the others came back. But suddenly they noticed Thing standing on a log holding up a middle finger at them.

"Come on let's get it." one of them said.

The two then darted off after Thing as the hand retreated into the woods. As soon as they were gone Enid rushed over to their boat as she pulled out her claws and ripped a hole in the canoe.

Meanwhile the other Jokers grabbed up their flag and began to run back as they passed Wednesday, "Later Wednesday!"

Ignoring them the young Addams grabbed up her teams flag and just as she stepped off the pedestal to run back a vision struck her. 

She collapsed to the ground, as a dark forest filled her head. She whipped her head around in confusions only to stop suddenly as she came face to face with a girl. A teenager ordained in a white dress with yellow braids and pale skin. She looked uncannily similar to Wednesday, same size, same face, even same cold stare.