Chapter 22

Later that evening, everyone was sitting down at the dinner table, eating their food. Giyuu was picking at the food on his plate. He was nervous about what was going to happen. It was so devastating to even think about. He really did care for Sanemi's siblings as if they were his own, and he couldn't stand to see them upset.

When everyone was done eating, they were going to get up from the table when Sanemi stopped them to give the news.

"Wait, there is something important that I need to say."

The younger kids looked at him with puzzled looks.

"They are gone," Sanemi said.

"Who?" Sumi asked.

"Our parents were killed while they were away."

Soon enough, tears were falling; even Genya let a single tear roll down his cheek. Koto and Shuya looked confused and sad. Hiroshi was sobbing, Teiko was crying into her hands, and Sumi was letting tears silently roll down her cheeks.

Koto and Shuya got out of their seats and ran to Giyuu. He picked each of them up and set them on his lap, enveloping them in a hug. He rubbed their backs, trying to comfort them. Genya left the table and left the house without a word. Sumi and Teiko went upstairs together, and Hiroshi just sat in his seat crying. Sanemi walked over to him and said something before he walked with him upstairs.

"Come on," Giyuu said.

He stood up and held both Shuya and Koto in his arms. He walked upstairs with them, brought them into his room, and placed them down on the bed. Shuya rubbed his eyes and sniffled.

"Can we sleep here tonight?" Shuya asked in a shaky voice.

"Sure," Giyuu replied, offering him a small smile.

Sanemi entered the room a while later.

"I put Hiroshi to sleep," Sanemi said, turning to shut the door behind him.

He turned back around and saw Shuya and Koto sitting on Giyuu's bed. He looked confused for a moment before his face returned to its normal cold state. Then he cracked a small smile.

"Hey, are you guys stealing my spot?" he asked, tickling Koto's sides.

Koto stopped crying and giggled. Shuya wiped his eyes and smiled while he saw Koto smiling.

"Oh, you think this is funny?" Sanemi smirked, then he moved to tickling Shuya, who giggled and kicked his little legs.

Giyuu smiled slightly. It was nice seeing them laughing and forgetting about one of the saddest events of their lives.

"Alright, time for a bath and bed. Sanemi, you take care of Shuya," Giyuu said, picking up Koto to bring him to his room to go give him a bath and change into his pajamas.

Giyuu to tend to Koto. He ran warm water and put soap in the bath, then put Koto in the bath. He splashed around happily in the water, then his smile faded and he looked up at Giyuu.

"Giyuu?" he asked.

"Yes?"

"Will Mommy come back?"

Giyuu stopped for a moment, and his face fell. " No."

"Why?" Koto asked, his eyes tearing up.

"Someone bad hurt her, and she passed on to somewhere else; maybe she will meet my sister," Giyuu said, rinsing the soap out of Koto's hair.

He finished giving Koto his bath, dried him off, and helped him get dressed in his pajamas. Then Giyuu brought him back to his own room, where Sanemi was waiting with Shuya. Sanemi was sitting on his laptop, and Shuya was sitting on his shoulders.

Giyuu walked over and put Koto down on his bed. Sanemi shut his laptop and placed it over near the desk.

"Alright little bugger, time for bed," Sanemi said, taking Shuya off his shoulders.

"I want Mommy to put me to bed," Shuya said.

"Not tonight," Giyuu replied.

Giyuu got into bed and pulled the covers up. Koto and Shuya hid under the covers, giggling.

"Alright, out of my way," Sanemi said.

"I don't think that there is room for you tonight," Giyuu said.

"Nope," Shuya and Koto said.

"Hey, I was here before both of you. I existed before you two did," Sanemi said.

"They are cuter than you are," Giyuu replied, chuckling.

Sanemi climbed into bed anyway. Shuya and Koto wedged themselves between Giyuu and Sanemi and were sound asleep in seconds. Giyuu and Sanemi looked at each other. Giyuu stifled a laugh.

"What?" Sanemi said, looking unamused.

"It's that you are nice with your siblings, but you are still so harsh towards me," Giyuu said.

"Well, I don't really know you, but I've known them for their entire lives," Sanemi replied.

"What do you want to know?" Giyuu asked.

"The basic information: your birthday, your favorite color, your life story."

Giyuu chuckled. "Well I was born on February 8th, and my parents died when I was 12. My sister cared for me until she got sick when I was 15 and died a year later.I have been on my own since, and my favorite color is the color of my eyes. Now I need to know yours."

"My birthday is November 29th, and when I was 10, my dad started training me to take his place. I grew farther away from my mother and siblings and became more like my father. Time passed by faster than I had expected, and now I'm here. My favorite color is now the color of your eyes."

"Anything else you want to know," said Giyuu.

They passed the time talking and getting to know each other until they got tired and drifted off to sleep.