Chapter 9: My Name

Theo's POV
The little boy isn't taking his eyes off me. I'm looking at him, trying to see if I recognize his patronage. Who could be his father? Katya is quite secretive. The kind of life she lives calls for it.

"Don't worry little guy. I won't hurt you." As if he understands me, his hazel eyes moved to the side, where his nanny lies. She gave me no choice when she wouldn't let me in. "I just want to talk to your mother. Do you have any idea when she will be home?"

Gazing at the little boy is making me eager to meet Keira's baby. I am yearning to be a father to a child that isn't even mine.

"Would you happen to know who your father is?" He smiled at me. I smiled back. "Perhaps I should ask your grandfather. Maybe he knows."

I still keep in touch with the man Katya and I have in common. He raised me and taught me to be strong. Does Katya speak to her father? What about Katerina? Does she speak to her father? Leonov told me that raising daughters is the most difficult thing he has ever had to do.  He said Katerina and Katya are his biggest headaches.

"Katya. Welcome home."

The woman with electric blue eyes posed at the door. Her big blue eyes shifted to her son and then back to me. "What are you doing here Sinclair?"

"Keira is looking for her best friend. We missed you at the wedding. Poor thing had to put up with an annoying cousin."

"I wasn't in favor of your union." She walked slowly towards us. I pulled her son's crib closer. I picked him up and held him. "Give me my son."

"Doreen Mason. That name doesn't suit you. Why the alias?"

"What do you want Sinclair?"

"Not a fan of small talk? That's okay. I'll get to the point. Keira is looking for you. She misses you. Why are you not seeing her?"

"Keira is a big girl. She doesn't need me."

"Why the change of name? Who are you running from? The baby's father?"

She scoffed. "Give me my son and get out."

"Who is the father?"

"Sinclair, if you have ears, use them." She reaches behind her.

"Are you going to shoot me when I'm holding your son?"

She retracted her hand to her side, folding it into a fist. She made her way to the table, glanced at the nanny and sat down.

"His father is none of your business. As for why I'm using w new name, that is none of you business. Is there anything else you need to know?"

"She misses you. She asked me to look for you. What should I tell her?"

"Lie. Aren't you good at it?"

"What are you implying?"

"You are selling the world a fairytale and it is almost believable. You are lying that the pregnancy is yours. You are pretending to be a knight in shining armor. So lie to her. Tell her you don't know where I am."

I placed her son back in the crib. I got on my feet. "I will lie for you. But you should probably tell her who you really are. Keira is quite understanding if not forgiving."

"Theo, I know you don't love her but please, take care of her. Don't hurt her like Nick did."

I nodded.

*
I asked that all packages and mail sent to Keira should go through me. In order to control our narrative, I must be on top of everything.

I carefully pulled the white ribbon from the white box. I removed the cover to see white baby clothing inside the box. I reached for the soft fabric, feeling it through my fingers. It's so small. Babies are this small.