twelve | maroon

2021
Freshman Year | Semester One

"Hello, my beautiful besties!" Maya exclaims as she enters the suite's common room. Whitney and Bela both glance at her wearily as she sets coffee before each of them, "I thought I would treat you all to some coffee this morning!"

"Oh?" Whitney says as she looks over at Bela, "What's the occasion?"

Maya smiles, "Healthy relationships. Now that I'm with Tatum, my mind is at peace. No thoughts of another blonde seeping in."

"That's great," Bela says as she grabs her cup of coffee, "Because I saw something pretty fucked up last night."

"Go ahead and share," Maya says as she sits on the couch, a serene smile on her lips, "Nothing can ruin this morning for me."

"I saw Leighton and Alicia kissing," Bela shares as she takes a sip of her coffee. Whitney's eyes widen and Maya's smile instantly leaves her lips. Whitney glances over at Maya and it's almost as though all the peaceful and calm vibes evaporated immediately.

"Last night?" Maya asks her stomach twisting in a sensation that she does not like.

"Yeah," Bela states, "I think it was a drunken thing, but I thought you would want to know."

Maya processes the information and suddenly the wide smile that she had on earlier is back on her face.

"It's fine," Maya says, "I have a new and totally hot girlfriend. The past is in the past."

"Who's past is where?" Maddox asks as she enters the common room, "Oh coffee!" She grabs the cup with her name on it and then takes a seat in Whitney's lap. The soccer player looks up at her with furrowed brows.

"There is another chair," Whitney informs her.

Maddox smiles, "I know, but does that other chair have you?" She boops Whitney on the nose which causes the taller girl to scrunch it cutely and Maddox's smile widens. Bela watches the two of them with a sad expression.

"Is everyone hopping on the lady-loving train except for me?" Bela asks, "I want to kiss women! Maya kiss me!"

"No can do! Because that would be CHEATING because I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND," Maya says in a louder tone.

The door to Leighton and Bela's room swings open and Leighton pokes her head out, "Okay is there a reason that-" she notices the coffee on the table and makes her way over, taking the cup with her name on it.

"Did you hear the news?" Bela asks as Leighton sits beside her, "MAYA HAS A GIRLFRIEND."

Leighton smacks Bela on the arm, "Why the fuck are you yelling in my ear?"

"Just wanted to make sure that you heard," Bela says, "Since you were doing dumb shit last night."

Leighton's eyes widen and a panic sets in. Did she publicly declare her love for Maya? Did everyone know now? Why was Bela looking at her like that, "Dumb shit?"

"Uh yeah," Bela says, "You-"

"Accused me of sleeping with my soccer coach," Whitney covers, "Which I did not do!"

The door to the common room opens and Kimberly comes in, "Have you guys read the school paper?"

"We have one of those?" Maddox asks.

"Yeah, it says that a player on the girl's soccer team slept with the coach," Kimberly shows everyone. All eyes go to Whitney who had previously denied doing such a thing.

"I swear it wasn't me," Whitney says, but everyone keeps looking at her and Maya notices the way that Whitney seems to be buckling under the pressure.

"It was me," Maya confesses, and everyone's eyes shoot to her, "I wanted to experiment and so I slept with the first man I met. I never intended for it to get this far-"