03

𝐃𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞

Bonnie struggled to breathe as she sped down the road toward home

Bonnie struggled to breathe as she sped down the road toward home. First Tyler, her best friend's beau and now Klaus, her sworn enemy? She and Klaus had literally tried to kill each other several times in the past year alone. And she would have succeeded had it not been for his double-crossing brother Elijah. Now Klaus wanted her?

This can't possibly be happening to me.

But it was and as a Bennett she'd always faced her problems head on. She'd have to face this too. Dealing with Tyler might be easy. If she could avoid him for the next three days then she'd be fine. As Stefan had explained this wasn't really his doing. It was the wolf—the heat. Once that was over Tyler would go back to half ignoring her like he always did. In fact he might do one better and dodge her the remainder of the semester. They would agree never to speak on the library incident and that would be the end of it.

But Klaus...

Clearly he was suffering from the same heat as Tyler. The way he'd charged her, the way he'd made the exact same declaration.

"Mine."

First of all how was he even phasing? Wasn't he part vampire? Even with his wolf curse broken he should equate to a dead wolf. Again Stefan had explained; dead things weren't compelled to procreate. They didn't heat.

Yet Klaus did.

She tried to forget how heated his kiss had been as he'd had her against her own car. The way his tongue had taken charge of her mouth like it belonged there. Without realizing, Bonnie touched her lips at the memory.

No, I did not enjoy a kiss from that egotistical, vengeful, psychotic hybrid!

She shook it off, willing herself to also forget the warm imprint of his fingers on her ass.

This Klaus thing was a major issue.

Unlike Tyler, he had no real reason to hold anything back other than his absolute disdain for her. And who knew, he might actually try to use this awkward situation to his advantage. She could only hope that his hatred for her was enough to keep him away. But even if it did, even if she managed to keep from crossing his path, that still left the entire town at the mercy of a homicidal, narcissistic, and dangerously phasing hybrid. And if Tyler's heats were bad, how much worse would Klaus's be?

He'll do a lot more than shove a poor freshman into a locker, that's for sure.

Bonnie couldn't allow that. Not on her watch. She pressed on the gas, eager to get home to Gram's grimoire. There had to be a spell—something she could use against the hybrid.