31. GREYISH BLACK

31. GREYISH BLACK

"—stupid idea and I won't go along with it," I say firmly.

"And as always, you're severely overestimating yourself, Malfoy, because it's not your decision to make," Granger replies haughtily.

"Oh, so I'm supposed to go on a mission that I'm not convinced will be successful, just—"

"We have carefully weighed our options and—"

"—because it worked out that way for Potter, Weasley and you a couple of times at Hogwarts, which—"

"—all strategists of the Resistance have agreed that—"

"—was probably pure luck? Strategists? My, since when do you refer to yourself in the plural, Granger?"

"—it's worth a try. Tsk, Blaise was also involved, for example."

"Tell me how this is supposed to work when I'm not even allowed to touch you."

"I have no idea what you're getting at, Malfoy. It's a mission we are planning here, not—"

"One stumble, one narrow alley, one collision with a passerby and—"

"—a lovely little trip into the countryside!"

"—our cover is blown and we are dead."

"We'll concentrate. Problem solved."

"Not good enough. Give me permission to touch you if necessary."

"Don't be ridiculous, Malfoy," she hisses.

"Alright, then I refuse. End of discussion."

"Refusing is not an option. It's an official order—"

"—that I will not obey, Granger."

"—and I'll make sure you do as you are told!"

"And how are you going to do that, mh?"

"I have my methods and—"

"Uh, mysterious."

"—so far they have worked very well for you."

"Do me a favor and shut that talented little mouth of yours."

"Or what, Malfoy?" she provokes me.

"Or I'll make you," I threaten.

"Well, you can't."

"Wouldn't be the first time, would it? I have my own methods, as you bloody well know."

"That's enough," she hisses.

Granger's wand tip under my chin ends our dispute.

We're standing right in front of each other, breathing heavily, full body contact. Her free hand is gripping my shoulder holster and it seems like she can't decide whether to push me away or pull me even closer. Her pupils are blown wide, her cheeks are flushed and her eyes are clearly on my mouth. I'm actually toying with the idea of leaning in and showing her that it wasn't just an empty threat on my part. Ramming my point home with a bruising kiss suddenly seems like a perfectly appropriate solution.

Gods, this witch. She unhinges me; makes my hard-won indifference sway.

I shift my gaze down a few inches and swallow hard. Her lips are slightly parted, which is why I can feel her enraged breaths brushing against my jaw.

"Wow, I wish I hadn't heard the last part," comes Weasley's disgusted voice. "I'm out, folks."

I hear the sound of a chair being pushed back.