16. PIANO BLACK

16. PIANO BLACK

As a concession from the Chosen One, they let me speak to Astoria a few days later.

Accompanied by Lovegood, I have to use a Portkey as I'm not supposed to know the exact location of our destination, which is (surprise!) Camp White. Because yes, that's where the rebels are housing the Death Eaters who have survived the Exit, as I found out a few days ago. Apparently, I'm the only defector tolerated at headquarters (probably thanks to the wealth of information they have received from me so far), and I wonder if that's going to change anytime soon. After all, my cover was blown, so I'm not as useful as I was in the beginning, right? Or maybe they just got used to the sight of me? Well, whatever.

Astoria is exactly the woman I remember. Though pale and latently frightened, she still exudes the natural elegance and countenance of a witch raised in a pure-blood household. Her blonde hair is pinned up in a chignon hairstyle of sorts and the rebel training clothes she's also been provided with fit perfectly and are immaculately clean.

It takes a while before I manage to free myself from the tight embrace she has pulled me into with relief. She has lost weight. I can feel her ribs.

Our conversation is short (Lovegood's precious time is limited), but in the few minutes we have I tell her everything about the Exit and assure her that as long as she abides by the rules, she will be safe.

It quickly becomes clear that Astoria has already come to terms with the new circumstances. She has no information that could be of use to us, but is willing to seize the unexpected opportunity for a fresh start on her part. That's excellent because I know her spellwork is decent. Once the rebels trust her enough to put her to work, she'll be an asset to the Resistance. A good Exit candidate indeed. I'm glad I wasn't wrong about her.

After saying goodbye to Astoria, I make my way back to headquarters at Lovegood's side.

An impromptu gathering in the dining hall is on the agenda for today, which is equal parts blessing and curse because, of course, I know who I'm going to see there. And while I'm determined to put on a brave face and hide what happened between Granger and I less than a week ago, I doubt I'll be very convincing.

Because she's already haunting me. In my day and night dreams. During workouts, although she hasn't participated in any since I last saw her. Under the shower. At meals. Whenever I lie on the roof and stare at the night sky.

She is in my head. Sometimes dangerous, sometimes feral, sometimes clever, sometimes arcane, sometimes fragile, sometimes strong. Tempting with increasing frequency. Always beautiful. In my visions, she watches me train. Then we fight side by side. Usually, she ends up pulling my head down to kiss me.

I just can't shut her out.

***

Blaise and Ginny flop onto the bench across from me at our usual table in the dining hall and stretch out their legs simultaneously. Creevey appears less than two minutes later and, with a groan, does exactly the same.

"Why are we here?" he asks, cocking his head questioningly.

"There's this one trait that you're obviously immune to, but I'd like to encourage you to acquire," Blaise teases him in a fatherly voice. "It's called patience."

"Haha, very funny."

Creevey sticks his tongue out at him, once again proving how young he is. Too young to be here, and definitely too young to endure the horrors that are currently afflicting this world. I sigh softly at the thought.

"What the fuck is that?" Ginny's voice suddenly rings out.

She leans forward and curiously tugs at the collar of my long-sleeved top. I stiffen instantly. Not because of the unexpected touch from a longtime enemy, but because I know exactly what she discovered.