CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

"That is such a pretty dress," Aelia said in awe, looking at her mother.

"It is," Valyria said, stroking her daughter's head. "So is yours, sweetheart."

"I actually think it's time for us to leave for the sept now," Serra announced. "We have to be there a bit before you, after all." After offering their good luck and goodbyes, the others left Valyria to go to the carriages.

When it was nearly time for her to leave for the sept, there was a knock on the door and Ser Arryk announced the arrival of the King. Viserys slowly walked inside, dressed in expensive robes of black and red silks fitting for the ceremony.

A smile appeared on his face, making him look only a little younger and healthier for just a few seconds. "My dear, Lyria," he said, slowly walking towards her, using his cane for support. "You are a sight for sore eyes. Daemon could not have wished for a more beautiful bride."

"Thank you," Valyria said gratefully. "You appear stronger today."

"This is a joyous day," Viserys told her. "I may have had my reservations about this union but if this is what you and Daemon both want, then I am very happy for the both of you. If only your father was here – he might have killed Daemon but he would have been very proud of the woman you've become."

Valyria could only manage a small nod in response, a grateful smile on her face. Even after all these years, it was difficult to speak about him. "He was a truly great man," Viserys continued. "I could never even imagine replacing him, but I do hope that you know that I love you like you were my own daughter," he said tearfully, "and I truly wish you happiness."

"No one can ever replace my father, but you've been a wonderful second father to me," Valyria told him. "We've had our bad times, but I know you are always there for me when I need it. Now enough with all the emotions because we don't need more rumours surrounding this wedding that surely will be created should I look like I've just cried."

"I have one more thing," Viserys told her. He called for the Kingsguards to open the door and in walked one of Valyria's handmaid's carrying a box. "This belonged to our grandmother. Jaehaerys gave it to her on the twentieth anniversary of their wedding. I want you to have it."

The handmaid opened to reveal a beautiful tiara made out of black iron shaped into two dragons on each side of a ruby. It wasn't the most elaborate piece of jewellery in the royal collection but somehow she thought it fitted perfectly.

"Thank you, Viserys," Valyria smiled, pulling him into a gentle hug. "It's beautiful." With the help of the maid, the tiara was placed upon her head and it fitted perfectly. "How do I look?"

'Like a Queen' Viserys thought to himself. It was one of those moments when he thought the Gods played a cruel joke on them when he was given the crown instead of Valyria. He felt guilt for taking what rightfully belonged to her.

"Like my brother is a very lucky man," Viserys said instead. He offered her his arm. "Shall we? This is your last opportunity to change your mind."

"It remains unchanged," Valyria linked her arm with his. "Hopefully Daemon has behaved so far."

.•° ✿ °•.

The doors to the Great Sept opened for the bride and the King. The nobles stood in two rows, leaving an aisle open in the middle for them to walk up to where Daemon waited with the High Septon. Hundreds of eyes were on her but all Valyria saw was Daemon who watched her like a hawk as she slowly approached him.

Just from his eyes, she could read some of the thoughts going through his mind at the moment. It was Daemon after all and while he could be a complicated being he was a simple man when it came to certain things. The walk through the sept took a lot longer than if Valyria had been walking alone but she found herself not minding it.