She didn't even glance at him. Didn't speak to him.

Neither did he.

She kept returning to Anya's weird behaviour of late. The way she jumped in her seat, searching for an unseen person that one time. Clutching her hand tight whenever they stepped outdoors. Distracted more than usual if that was possible.

Awake more than asleep in class, now that was odd.

Becky didn't know what to make of this.

Blackbell felt numb as she entered the school, then Cecil Hall. Took her seat.

The spot next to her was very empty.

————-

Loid was feeling discouraged.

He visited the four families Anya had stayed with, but gleaned nothing.

They didn't know of her past, or anything out of the ordinary. She spoke of nothing that would be seen as alarming or strange. Except her usual eccentricities.

When he asked why they brought her back, every answer was to the same affect. She didn't fit their family.

Now he stood outside an orphanage that was not in much better shape than the one he found Anya in.

Her first home that he knew of.

The roof was old, in need of repair. Windows browned with age and dirt. The front steps missing a side of railing, the spokes standing free. He climbed the three steps careful of the rot taking hold on the left side.

He knocked and waited patiently.

The spindly woman who opened the door held a cigarette in her hand. Her face was worn, her hands rough, but she looked to be in her late forties.

"Whaddya want?" She drawled leaning against the doorframe.

"Good morning, Ma'am. My name is Loid Forger. I've come to ask about a little girl who used to be under the care of this institution. Are you the caretaker?" Loid asked politely.

The woman didn't give her name, but waved at him to continue.

"My adopted daughter used to live here. Her name is Anya. She has pink hair, with little horns on her head."

"Yeah, I remember her, she was a pain. So what?" She said, taking a smoke from her cigarette.

"How did she end up here?" Loid asked, ignoring his building irritation.

The woman sighed, an arm crossing over her ribs. Her elbow holding her cigarette hand, resting on top. "Dunno." She shrugged. "Just showed up at my doorstep one day. Little thing wearing nothing by Pyjamas. Why d'you wanna know?"

"Pyjamas?" He asked. "What did they look like?" Loid knowing it was an odd question, needed every bit of information he could get. "What condition was she in?"

The woman squinted at him, alarmed at his odd question.

"Hey, you got questions, as her yourself. She's you're daughter, right? I'm busy as is." She moved to close the door again.

"She's missing!" Loid said hurriedly, a hand against the door, making her pause. "I just need to know."

"She probably ran, kids do it all the time." She answered.

"Kidnapped." Loid kept his hand firmly in place.

She sighed again, clearly wishing he would leave, but reopened the door. "What was it you wanted?" Prompting him.

"How did she look when you found her? What condition was she in? Did she say anything about where she came from? Her parents?" He rattled off.

The caretaker blew a puff of smoke as she thought.

"No. Said nothin. Some kid showed her the way here. She was kinda grubby. Wearin' white pyjamas. No shoes now that I think of it." She said off-handedly. "That it?" She asked.

"Did she look scared at all?" Loid asked.

She gave him a look. "Well, she didn't look happy."

"Where can I find this kid?"

She took another smoke. "Dunno, don't care. He wasn't a street kid. Probably saw her runnin around and brought her here."

"What did he look like?"

"Some school uniform, black and grey. Blonde hair. Listen, I got things to do." She rambled off.

"Last question." Loid insisted. "Did his uniform say what school he belonged to?" He asked.

"As if I'd remember that after a year." The woman growing more irritated by the second.

"Alright. Thank you for your time." Loid disengaged before she tried to physically remove him from the porch.

With a harrumph, she closed the door with a distinct thump.

He gladly left the building, ready to pursue the new lead.