Chapter 4: Blood That Bonds

The princess of the kingdom he'd been trying to overtake was standing outside of his cave. The wind blowing her thin shawl off of her shoulders and up into the wind. She cried out and began chasing after it. Then tripped and fell with a wail, her arms flying up in surprise. Her knees started bleeding and she was began bawling her eyes out.

Sylas sighed, "Oh come in already, you halfwit."

That's how Sylas found himself, dropping Hicos Healing Drops onto her knees, as she sat sniffling on his chaise lounge. For a moment he wondered if someone had cast a madness jinx on him. He wouldn't put it past his old teacher.

Three years of scheming and plotting and overthrowing. Not so much a foot shoulder at his doorstep - the wards eviscerate anything with ill intent. Now, in the span of a month, he was hosting two blonde women. Perhaps he should invest in a larger dining table. Sweep up the mice bones once in awhile.

"Princess Macadamia, what are you doing here." It wasn't a question, rather like a crude comment meaning Please get out.

She pouted at him. "It's Macaenia, and you know that."

Sylas twirls a strand of his hair and drapes himself over the armchair closes to the fireplace. With a wave of his hand, blue flames alight inside it. "Yes, well, you've always been a peanut-head but that's beside the point. What do you want?" he drawls out.

She pouts and flattens out her dress, "Why're you being so cold. You're acting like we're strangers."

"I've been trying to kill your father for the past three years. I can't say I did it in the spirit of camaraderie."

"Our father," she corrects and he flinches at her tone. "You haven't been home in ages."

"I was there last month. Dropping arsenic into daddy dearests treasured wine collection."

She smiles softly, "I haven't seen him that mad since I lost my virginity to the academy blacksmith."

Sylas laughs, the sound feeling odd in his chest. "He was a very handsome young man."

She hums in agreement and then looks up at him with big chocolate brown eyes, so much like his own. "You could visit my section of the castle now and again. Murder my stuffed animals like you used to when we were kids. I miss you. I still struggle with my rune casting and now I don't have the brightest student of the ages tutoring me."

His head whips towards her. "You're still in the academy? My word, will you ever graduate?"

"Shut up," she throws a pillow at him which he levitates away. "We all can't be valedictorian and head mage apprentices."

He sinks into his chair and hums in agreement, "And we can't all be crown princess."