Chapter #13 ★ Sun Wukong

i was in tears writing this. enjoy!!!!!

I sit with Macaque squeezing his hand as hard as I can during the ambulance ride.
I run along as they transport him to a room.
I can barely breathe, not for the same reasons.
I've been running almost nonstop, plus the stress.

While I wait for some results to come back, I make phone calls, quite panicked.
I only really remember my one with Chang'e.
I can't really explain it but it seemed special.
I know that Macaque and Chang'e were kinda close so it only seemed right.
Chang'e told me how Macaque sorta S.O.S'd her not to long before. She tried to reach his other friends but the calls wouldn't go through.

It made me a little jealous in a way.
I don't know how to explain it, but I was a little hurt I wasn't the first person he'd go to.

But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.
We did have a fall-out just a few days before.
He was probably still mad at me.

MK and Mei arrive first, explaining that Sally and Pigsy were busy with the restaurant.

A few more people pile in, I don't take notice to them though.

I stare at the hospital door, barely blinking.
Chang'e arrives and I hear an audible gasp of amazement. I dont move my head though. MK scoots away from me, allowing Chang'e to sit close by.

She looks at me for a little bit, unsure what to say.
“Hey bud...” She puts her hand on my shoulder then playfully shakes me, I smile a tiny bit.
“Don't worry too much. I know Macaque well enough to say that; whatever's wrong he's strong enough to get through it.” She smiles in such a way- a way that says:
‘I know I'm correct. I need you to believe me.’

“I guess.” I say quietly,
“Cheer up, you saved his life today.” She announces slightly louder than usual to make me feel better.

Everyone I'd called start to clap– it just makes me feel worse.
How could I accept such attention while he's hurting in there?

“Do you need some air?” She looks towards the elevator.
I nod subtly and we both get up, heading for the elevator.
When the doors close she just hugs me, tears streaming down her eyes.
Right before the ding, she lets go and wipes her tears, putting on a more serious face.
Her face is in such a way like she's scared to be visibly upset in front of a crowd.
We sit on a bench outside, under the shade and in an unpopular area by the hospital.

I noticed that she'd been looking away for quite some time, shaking every few moments.

“Chang'e?” I mumble.
“Yeah...?" Her voice cracks, and her breath gets jaggedy.
“I'm sorry.”
She starts to face my direction just a bit more, then she starts to sad-laugh.
“Why are–” She chokes back a sob, “you sorry?”
I sputter on my words, trying to tell her.
“W-we kind of fell out a few days ago.”
Her laughing stops.

It's silent.

“Wh-what? I mean, weren't you two sort of...?”
She tries to laugh but ir comes out dry.
“N-no. I... I wasn't listening to his concerns and...”
She holds her breath, deep in thought as if she might've remembered something.

“Please, you're joking.”
“I-I-ugh! He was asking if I really loved him or if I was just playing with him. I-I couldn't speak so I gave him my bouquet.”
Her hands start to shake.
“I-it isn't your fault. This... Has happened before. Sort of. I mean-” She starts hyperventilating, then hugs her stomach.
“It was so long ago but... But if he had some trauma response from it that means...” I stare at her arms as her nails impail them, unsure of what to say.

“H-he was... I thought he got better... H-he... Promised to not... That he'd eat...”
I fall into her arms and start sobbing. I can feel her heart racing as her mind runs quickly.
“He should've gotten better!” She yells midway through a sob. I start to scream while sobbing, digging deep into her shoulders, soaking her clothes.

“You know what's funny about all this?” A sniffle following.
“I wouldn't have been a chef if it werent for him.”
She puts on this fake smile to lighten the mood a bit.

CHANG'E FLASHBACK OMG??????
(not canon)

When Macaque was still living on the moon with me, it was because he'd been sick.
Not sick coughing or anything.
He refused to eat. I made a lot of different foods for him - hoping that something would make him eat.
Every so often he'd try out something but that was it.
He ate enough to stay alive – not enough to stay healthy.
I tried to urge him to eat, but never too often.
I knew that if I kept at him it'd make it worse.
I did what I could, it was really hard. He wasn't in good condition.
I made creampuffs at some point, given up on more nutritious meals.
He took to it quickly, I smiled when he asked for more.
It was a big step and it made me happy.
He wasn't fixed suddenly but I had a last resort option.
And a bribe.
I'd tell him I'd make creampuffs if he tried to eat at least half a meal.
Most of the time he could eat half a meal, sometimes he wouldn't be able to do it.
It'd make him so angry with himself that I'd end up agreeing to giving him half a creampuff anyways. 
Slowly I'd up the mark he has to get for a creampuff then he was eating more and more.
I dont know, I guess I just thought he'd be fixed after that.
Maybe not completely but I figured it would've been okay to send him off.
Well, it was for awhile at least.

tears. in tears. i,
oh yeah 13 is my fav number yay!