Chapter Four - Ring Ring

Ever since that day at Union Square, Karlie had avoided the topic of Dianna altogether. She was sure there was more to it than just a falling out, at least considering Taylor's reaction to seeing her on the street and the way she had been bawling in the middle of the night, but Karlie had made the conscious decision not to ask. It was surely a sore topic, and since Taylor herself hadn't acknowledged it, Karlie assumed it was something that the blonde didn't want to talk about.

But she was curious, and she couldn't help it.

Karlie exhaled sharply, rubbing her hands together at the brisk air. Within only a month, the weather turned quite drastically, going from late summer warm to end of September cool. She breathed into the palms of her hands before knocking on the door.

A moment passed and Karlie swore under her breath. She moved her motorcycle helmet from under one arm to under the other and knocked again. "Come on, open up."

Finally, as if those were the magic words, the door opened. A shorter woman of Karlie's age opened the door, looked up, and grinned. "Hey."

"Ugh, Cara!" Karlie pushed past her friend and entered the house, while Cara snickered and shut the door. She turned to look at Cara, who was clearly not fully dressed yet. She wore an oversized T-shirt and Karlie was sure she only had panties in underneath. She gave a tremendous roll of her green eyes. "When you tell someone to be there at four, you have to be ready at four!"

Cara shrugged and stuck out her tongue between two snake-bite piercings. "Eh, you'll live."

Karlie gave her a firm punch on the shoulder for good measure, which made Cara yelp and rub her forearm, but the lack of reciprocity let Karlie know that Cara knew it was deserved.

"I'll be quick, just gotta find my riding gear," Cara said as she bounded into her bedroom.

Karlie didn't respond as she sat heavily on Cara's couch and kicked her feet up on the coffee table. She glanced over to the other cushion and saw that month's copy of Vogue magazine. Amused, she picked it up and flipped to a random page and began reading the article about some fashion designer.

I wonder what it'd be like to be a model.

"Alright, I'm all set," Cara called out before walking out of her room. Karlie held back a bemused scoff. She always put so much effort into her outfits, even when they were just going out for a ride. Cara had on some black jeans, brown shin-high leather boots, and on top of her white Aeropostale shirt, a dark brown leather jacket. Tucked under her arm was her helmet-a bright red full-face with a single heart sticker on it.

"Finally," Karlie joked, getting up from the couch. She picked up her helmet, which was a three-quarter as opposed to Cara's and joined the other girl at the door. "So where are we heading?"

"Long Beach."

"Ooh, that's kind of far," Karlie said with a grin. "You all fueled up?"

"Of course, what do you take me for?" Cara asked, shoving Karlie out the back door. "And don't worry, we'll be quick."

Karlie followed Cara to the back of the house to a small, but sensible, backyard. She was amazed at how she could afford such a place. A townhouse in New York City with a backyard? Karlie knew that Cara's parents were loaded and would pretty much do anything for her, but she couldn't imagine how much it cost.

"Here they are," Cara announced in a sing-songy tone, which was made even more adorable by her accent. She gestured dramatically to the pair of motorbikes stashed away in the backyard. They were both cruisers, one dark red and one shiny black.

Karlie frowned. "You didn't leave them uncovered, did you?"

Cara dropped her arm and groaned. "No! I took the tarps off before you came so I could be dramatic."