Chapter 4: Retirement and all that comes with it

2012

Japan: Osaka Continental Hotel.

4:58 PM

*click*

"Hello Yoru." Akira Shimazu- the manager of the Osaka Continental Hotel and the matriarch of the Shimazu clan- greeted as the violet-haired teenager opened the door to her office. "What brings you here today?"

The yakuza boss was quite tall for a Japanese woman, standing at five foot eight inches (172.7 cm) when compared to the national average of five foot three inches (160 cm). She wore a simple gray yukata and her hair was styled into a simple singular braid.

The continental manager's office is well-decorated with a blend of traditional Japanese and modern designs. In the front of the office there's a cherry wood office desk with a pile of neatly stacked papers and a white I-Mac. A small bonsai tree and vintage desk clock adorn either side of the maroon table. A filled wooden pen holder carved with the symbol of the Shimazu clan sat near the stack of documents and a closed red thermos was set nearby.

In the center of the room is a pair of two beige single-person sofas with a low ashwood tea table in the center of the two seats. The continental manager is currently seated in one of the couches and has her hand on the handle of a steaming steel kettle, having placed the boiler on the sofa table just moments before the younger girl walked into the room.

"Akira, I'm thinking of retirement." The assassin divulged after she gently shut the door behind her and started walking toward the taller woman.

"...Retirement?" the mob boss repeated, almost as if she couldn't believe what her friend was saying.

"Can I sit?" The violet-eyed hitwoman asked as her right hand laid upon the top of the empty sofa's backrest.

"Yeah, go ahead." The continental manager confirmed with a quick nod whilst reaching for a tea set from underneath the table. "That's why they're here."

Yoru nodded and settled on the leather couch whilst the yakuza boss laid the ornate tea set on the short table.

"So, Yoru." Akira began as she poured some hot water into the teapot and added some tea leaves. "Do you have a reason for retiring this soon? You've been active for only two years now."

"I found out my twin sister is pregnant." The assassin divulged as she reached into her right pocket and pulled out a photo. "She's 20 weeks in."

The violet-haired teen gently placed the photograph on the ashwood tea table and the older woman gently grabbed and flipped it around to examine the image.

The picture showed Yoru and another violet-haired teenager standing in what appeared to be a grassy field. From the way the photo was framed- with the suit-wearing girl's right hand outstretched and out of view- it's clear the assassin took the photograph.

And the most concerning detail of the image was the other adolescent's bulging and- according to the hitwoman- very pregnant belly.

"Yoru, you're sixteen right?" The yukata-wearing woman asked as she slid the photograph back to the violet-eyed teen.

"Yes." Yoru frankly elucidated as she pocketed the photograph to burn later on; after all, that's what she promised President Saitou in order to obtain it. "I am sixteen years old."

"Damn..." Akira breathed out, her expression one of concern as she poured some tea into an engraved porcelain teacup. "So, you're going to retire for her sake?"

"Yeah." The violet-haired hitwoman affirmed with a nod whilst her friend filled the second teacup with steaming green liquid. "If I retire, then every one of my enemies have to settle their disputes with me before I leave. She and her children would be safe from them."