Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

In the General's lounge, two of the tables at the back of the room have been pushed together to allow for the Gamma and his nine Generals to surround them. Nine identical copies of closed files have been placed before each General, who refuse to stray their attention from their Gamma.

Christian pulls out a piece of folded paper from one of the pockets of his black trousers. The sleeves of his white dress shirt are rolled up to his elbows and a few of the top buttons are undone. The unfolded piece of paper contains scribbles of his own notes and he spreads it open before him on the table.

After running a hand through his hair, Christian crosses his muscular arms and assesses his Generals with a gaze that leaves no opportunity for defiance.

One of the Generals, Feliks, raises a hand. Christian nods at him, allowing him to speak. "If I may, Gamma," Feliks says, glancing at the closed door of the lounge before looking back at him. "Where is Valen?"

Christian's expression reveals nothing. "This pertains to him."

The General's eyes widen slightly, unease filling them. Christian motions towards the files with his hand. "Take a look."

Flipping them open, each General looks down at the large picture with furrowed brows. Some have recognition shining through their gazes whilst others find it unfamiliar.

Inna looks at the Gamma with a raised brow. "Ali—"

Christian points a finger at the girl, eyes darkening with a fiery protectiveness for each of the Generals in the room. "Do not say her name."

He looks at the others. "If any of you have desire for this female, get rid of it."

One of the Generals' neck reddens, which results in Christian aiming his focus on him. Lev, General of sector 10. His voice lowers in warning, a growl joining his words. "Get rid of it, Lev."

Lev nods and clears his throat, eyes drifting to anywhere other than his Gamma.

Christian assesses the other Generals, watching for any signs of desire in their eyes or the warming of their skin. Lev's desire, however, runs deeper than finding Alia attractive at first glance. The male must have seen her some time ago, somewhere on Pack lands, and how he managed to see Alia in person is beyond him.

Tension fills the room as they await his next words. He can feel the questions running through their minds, wondering why the female is now off-limits to them. Never before has he ordered something like this, but this is for their own good.

"This female," Christian says, jaw clenching. "Is Valen's mate."

Eyes widen and faces pale — especially Lev's.

Christian nods his head, eyes meeting each of the Generals. "Yeah," he says, leaning his palms on the table. "And she's not just any mate." He lifts a hand and taps the side of his neck where a mark would lie. "She's his Fated."

"Shit," a few Generals breathe, faces a mixture of shock and fear.

"From this point onwards you will not say her name." He glances down at his notes. "You will not look at her, you will not desire her, and you will never," he looks up at them, "touch her."

His fingers drum slowly against the table. "Tell me," he says. "When an ordinary male hears another male say his mate's name, what do you think he does?" Realisation begins to dawn on each one of the Generals' faces, and their fear worsens with every word. "He'll probably take a swing at the guy," he says, shrugging his shoulders. "He might even leave a bruise."