XLI

Following through with his promise, Prem arrived in his chambers to escort Noor for the lunch feast with the rest of the family.

"How do I look?" Noor asked as they walked through the hallways followed quietly by Nihal, who was posing as Prem's second in charge, covering for Hakam. Recognizing Nihal's superior knowledge and involvement in the Queen's day to day functioning, Prem had asked him to participate in the matters he handles for Noor in the coming days. Nihal had gladly agreed.

The Queen, however, did not as much as blink in Nihal's direction after the initial nod of a greeting. He thought it was karma's way of getting back at him. The Chief he had stopped from entering the Queen's chambers that night was now the only person with exclusive access to her. And Nihal, who had used his power so arrogantly, was not a face or existence she even remotely remembered.

Pausing to look at her, Prem let his dimples make a brief appearance as he spoke, "you look breathtaking as always." He said softly.

Noor smiled. "I had heard the Kurrali Chiefs treat their wives like the Queen, but I'm actually seeing it..."

Taken aback, Prem exchanged a cautious look with Nihal behind them. "What do you mean?"

"I mean look at this jewelry. I know I am wife of THE Prem Singh Dhaliwal but my goodness, aren't these jewels a bit much for daily wear?" She let out a small laugh pointing to the rare precious jewels around her neck. "I would understand having a few jewelry sets with these diamonds incrusted in them, but all of my jewelry has them?! And these clothes! I still overwhelmingly wear white for some reason, but I cannot imagine what it must take to acquire a fabric so fine in sheer volumes that I own." She exclaimed touching the diamond in her ring and then running her hand over the fine silk of her sleeve.

Prem let out an exhale of relief, breaking into a smile. "What do you know about being the Lady of Kurral!" He stated, leaning in mischievously. "I don't call you Your Highness for nothing."

"Clearly not!" Noor glowed.

They arrived at the center hall for the lunch feast to see the rest of the family already present and seated. Two cushions in the front center of the room sat empty. Noor was welcomed by the family with much warmth. Grateful for such a loving reception, Noor emotionally smiled around at the family members. The family she once was an enemy of now loved and accepted her so completely. She truly was living her dream. Prem escorted her to the front of the room and today, instead of giving her the center position, he helped her sit in the position next to it and sat in the main position himself.

There remained light conversation throughout the feast as the family members took turns inquiring of her health and wishing her a speedy recovery.

"So bhabi..." Kabir began, when the lunch feast came to an end.

Prem's heart did a flip inside his chest at Kabir's word. He had to work extra hard not to expose his elated state in the presence of his entire family.

"Yes...Kabir." Noor replied in a smile.

"Do we get to treat you like a newlywed daughter-in-law now that your mind has reset to its default mode?" He asked.

"Kabir!" Prem's Taayi scolded her son for being so forward.

A beautiful laughter poured out of Noor, immediately brightening the mood of room. "It's okay, Taayiji!"

"You don't have to entertain this fool, Noor." Veer shook his head.

"No, no!" Noor shook her head, still in her radiating smile. "I don't mind at all." She then faced Kabir again, "well, what do you have in mind, My Lord?"

"My Lord?! I like the new version you even more, Your Highness..." Kabir paused, catching his mistake, and beginning to turn a shade of red. His eyes raced over to Prem's face, and he swallowed nervously.

"Your Highness?" Noor also traced her eyes over to Prem in surprise.

Prem quickly cleared his throat. "He heard me call you Your Highness once and now he's unhinged about it."

"Ohhh..." Noor laughed yet again causing the tension in the family to ease off.

Kabir let out a sigh of relief. "Anyways...as I was saying, since you are going to need a reintroduction to the palace and not to mention, Kurral, why don't we organize a little family walk this evening?"

"That's a wonderful idea!" Noor approved excitedly.

"It is not." Prem interrupted at once. "You need rest."

"Oh c'mon bhaji, how much is she going to rest?!" Kabir complained throwing up his hands.

"Right?!" Noor exclaimed in agreement. "I'm bored out of my mind, and its only day one of being the Chief's wife. I'm just curious...what do I...do...all day?" She asked slowly looking at Prem.

"What do you mean what do you do all day?" Prem repeated. "You're my wife!"

"Right..." Noor narrowed her eyes at him. "That is not an occupation. What does your wife...do...all day?" she once again emphasized the word "do".

"Well...she starts the day with organizing her jewelry and usually grows bored of her outfit by the time she's done so she changes into another one. That's around noon so she goes to lunch, and when she comes back, she usually reorganizes her jewelry. Then she gets a massage and ends up changing her outfit again. Then if the day is feeling lucky, she'll go for a stroll, otherwise, she'll reorganize her jewelry one last time and by this point, it's time for dinner. So there goes her packed day." Prem said starting to have fun with her.

The elders watched on in entertained smiles as Noor struggled to digest his answer.

She carefully eyed him. "There is no way in hell..." she said breaking into a laughter, "...I organize my jewelry three times a day!" Laughter began pouring out of the rest of the room at her response.

"You do!" Prem told her, also beginning to laugh. "That's why you have so many precious diamonds. It's to keep you from getting bored."

"Prem!" Noor couldn't believe her ears. "I can't imagine being fulfilled with that lifestyle." She was beginning to look worried. "Do I really not have ANY political duties anymore?"

"No, it never even crossed your mind." Prem denied at once while entertainment peaked for the others in the room.

"Well...then as Kabir said, I'm back to my default settings and I need something to actually do. Something impactful, even if it's at a small level." She told him.

"What would you like to do?" Prem asked.

"Anything! Make me in charge of the palace rations for all I care. I just need something!" She said decisively.

For a moment, there was pin drop silence in the room as the elders exchanged amused looks with one another.

"In charge of the palace rations?" Prem then repeated. His eyes found their way to Veer, and he suddenly burst out laughing. It took less than a moment for the rest of the family to join them in laugher. The Queen of the realm asking to be appointed head of palace rations sure did make for a hilarious moment.