VI

With the mid-night scenery of Noor under the silver moon still fresh in his mind, Prem stepped out of his chambers to begin his early morning routines around the palace. As he reached the doors to Noor's chambers, he found his feet slowing down. The night before, he made the decision to be friendly towards her and it was time to initiate that so he came a stop before the guards posted outside her door and gestured at them to let him in. It was very early, way before the Queen's visiting hours so the guards would have to ask for permission.

One of the guards cracked open the door and peered his head in informing a maid of the Chief wanting entry into the Queen's chambers. There was a pause of a few seconds as the maid conveyed the message to the Queen, and of course, Prem was let in. The Queen would never say no to an opportunity to have the Chief's company even if she wasn't ready for visitors.

Noor rose to her feet as Prem walked into her chambers. She was in a long flowy silk robe, not ready for the day yet. Her dark luscious hair hung loosely down to her waist and the maids working on them stepped aside to make space for her. Her skin glowed with freshly applied oils and their perfumed scent filled his nose even from several feet away. She was neither wearing a single diamond, nor a hint of rouge and yet hers still was the most captivating face Prem had ever laid eyes on. Her dark eyes and their sharp gaze, her pointed nose and full lips, her golden skin and carved jawline, he stood staring at her sheer beauty for a couple moments too long.

Quickly getting a grip on himself, he bowed before Noor. "Good Morning, Your Highness."

Noor had a stunning smile on her lips. His impromptu visit had elated her. It had made her day before it even began.

"Good Morning, Chief." She replied gently.

Prem also tried a smile. "I've...come to invite you to attend court with me today." He stated slowly.

"I...would love to." Noor responded in a tone similar to his.

"Great." He nodded in yet another smile. Neither this one, nor the one before quite reached his eyes or summoned his dimples so Noor knew they were from courtesy, not the heart. "I will see you at breakfast then."

"Yes, you will." Noor confirmed.

Prem bowed his head once again and just as he took a step away to head out, a man appeared before him, Nihal. He recognized Noor's head of security and stood both frozen and appalled. This man hadn't asked for permission to enter the Queen's chambers. She was in a robe and he had just walked in. Hadn't Noor given him a bit too much freedom around her?

Nihal's eyebrows furrowed just slightly as his eyes settled on Prem. What was the Chief doing there so early? Was he not aware it is the Queen's private time to be getting ready? Had the Queen even been informed before he was let in?

Noor watched the subtle glares get exchanged between the men before her. When none of them moved, she cleared her throat a little to bring their attention to her. Both rushed their eyes over to her, the same question written on each of their faces – what was the other doing there?

Noor chose to ignore their expressions and stared at them until one of them spoke.

Nihal bowed before her. "Your Highness, good morning." He smiled.

"Good Morning, Nihal." Noor responded. "How are you?"

"I'm well, Your Highness. Thank you for asking." He walked up to a table next to her and grabbed a document that laid on it. He was the only person after Sevak and her immediate family with the permission to walk freely in her chambers and something inside him made him want to show the Chief that.

"Did you hear back from Bhuji?" Noor questioned him.

Prem simply stared at the scene unfolding before him.

"No, Your Highness. Not yet. I will inform you as soon as word arrives." He replied courteously before shifting his eyes over to Prem still standing there. "Chief, is there anything I can help you with?

Prem did not immediately speak. He hated to admit the hint of envy he felt at the thought of Nihal having an unrestricted amount of time in Noor's company. "No. I've already spoken to the Queen." He replied, nodding at Noor, and heading out at once.

Noor watched his back until it disappeared behind a curtain. They had exchanged what felt like a total of four words and although Noor's heart desired many many more, she was grateful he had dropped by. He could have sent this message through a servant but he chose to make the stop himself and see her. She was thrilled by his gesture.

Time for breakfast rolled around and the feast took place in its routinely manner. Just afterward, Noor, as she waited on Sevak, took a seat on a chair in courtyard, while most members of the family headed off to begin their days. Seeing her seated alone as he was passing by, Prem convinced himself to go up to her. His lips let out a suppressed exhale as he approached her.

Noor's eyes lit up as soon as they fell on him. He gave her his usual formal smile and hesitantly sat down on the chair near her.

"Waiting for something?" He asked looking at her guards, who appeared ready to go.

"Yeah, Sevak. He told me he would meet me here after breakfast." Noor looked around the courtyard. No signs of Sevak.

"Very unlikely of him to be late." Prem too scanned their surroundings.

"Yeah. He must be caught up in something." Noor nodded, resting her eyes on Prem's face again.

Prem's eyes found hers too as he thought of what to say next. A couple moments of silence followed and then he let his lips voice what his heart kept asking. "How are you?" He did not break their eye contact.

Noor instantly felt herself beginning choke up and she inhaled to control the buildup of the inevitable tears. "I'm..." She nodded in a shaky voice, "I'm...well." She managed. When he had given her a two word response to that question, it had killed her and now she had done the same thing. Only, this time he could read it all over her face that she had not done it out of ego but out of utter helplessness. Too many unwanted emotions would force themselves to the surface should she truly wish to elaborate her state to him. Noor too understood in that moment why Prem thought for those two words to be the most suitable answer to her question. Their conditions were far too complicated for them to utter on the spot even for each other.

"Good." Prem replied, not pushing it any further. "I...hope everyone is treating you well here."

Noor smiled. "Everyone is extremely kind." Everyone except your wife, she wanted to say.

"Chand..." Prem began as if hearing her thought.

Noor's eyebrows shot up as she shifted her gaze from his face to the empty courtyard at his side in an attempt to confirm with herself that she had not said that sentence out loud.

"Chand will apologize to you." He told her. "She has been seriously reprimanded for her tone with you yesterday."

Noor's eyes found his face again. "Good." She said not pretending like she doesn't need an apology. "I'll wait for it."

He looked into her eyes. Of course you will. 

He thought of her words to Chand for the hundredth time – do you somehow trade your face for mine on those nights? She had asked as if it were the most obvious thing in the world that if Prem would even as much as touch Chand it would be because in his mind he believes he is touching Noor. Her audacity to state that out loud, however, had left stunned everyone from him to Chand's maid's. He was still mid-thought when he saw Sevak headed towards them from one end of the courtyard. "Sevak's here." He quietly pointed out and rose to his feet. Noor joined Sevak and they parted ways.