³⁸. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐹𝑙𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐶𝑖𝑡𝑦

Zacznij od początku

She swerved the blasts in her direction and did a backflip in the air just in time to attack the robots from behind, using both arms to create a blast and make them fall back into the ground in pieces. (Y/N) was already lowering herself back to the ground, but just before her feet were able to touch the concrete, she saw how the lampposts and the forgotten cars started to shake.

At first, she thought it was an earthquake, but that wasn't a reasonable thought. Then, she began to notice the cracks in the pavement, and how people's screams were increasing. (Y/N) focused on the bridge just a few feet below of her and noticed how it was torn in half, one half of it being left in the dust and the other was gaining altitude. Her mind didn't process it at first, but then, the buildings on the edge were beginning to collapse. Sokovia was going on a ride.

(Y/N) gained altitude to get a better look on the flying part of the city, and her mind would never forget the image of the buildings crumbling into piles of dust in the forgotten soil. Tony, who was in his Iron Man suit, saw her in the air from afar and tried to catch her attention.

"Hey, Vaughn," his voice was heard from comms. "That building on your right is not clear."

(Y/N) scanned the area to her right just like he had indicated. "Got it."

She could see the trail of smoke he left behind in the air, probably flying to help other people stuck in other buildings. (Y/N) focused on the task in hand and when she was already close enough to the almost collapsing building, she could hear the cries for help from below. She calculated they were probably in the 2nd floor of the building.

(Y/N) punched the door off the room where the screams came from, and they were immediately halted once they saw her approach, thinking this was the end. She recognized a boy and a girl approximately the same age, holding each other in the corner of the room. (Y/N) did her best to coo them into coming forward, since they were running out of time.

"Hello," she greeted awkwardly, and in panic. "You're gonna need to hold onto me to get out of here, okay?"

The boy and the girl nodded in reply, and that was enough for (Y/N). The ground was crumbling as she spoke, so she wasted no time and rushing to them and wrapping her arms around their small bodies. (Y/N) flew out of the room just as the roof and the floor caved in and the entire building collapsed into a pile of debris.

(Y/N) flew away of the scene and tried to scan an area safe enough to place the children safely, but it was a difficult task since the little girl was screaming at the top of her lungs and her hair blew back into (Y/N)'s face. The boy, on the other hand, seemed to be enjoying his position, yet his shoulders dropped when they got close to the ground and (Y/N) was forced to let go of them.

"Now, go and hide in that place right there," (Y/N) told them, pointing to a small abandoned store where other people were rushing in for safety. "Can you do that for me?"

They both nodded in response.

"What are your names?" she asked, wanting to keep them in her mind to check on them later.

A blast went off behind them, and more screams were heard, so (Y/N) pulled them out of harm's way and under a roof, close to the shelter she wanted them to go. The boy seemed hesitant in sharing his name, but his sister nodded at him to reassure him and stepped forward.

"I'm Polina," the girl spoke instead. "This is my brother Pavel."

(Y/N) smiled at them, but kept focused for any signs of the robots closing in. "Nice to meet you," she told them, trying to ignore the ringing of the blasts going off in the streets. "Now, go inside that store and don't come out until it's safe."