Lost Psychic

I'm nervous at the idea that Oliver won't be able to perform with me. The last thing I need for him is to pull out because he can't bear to be around me. As most of our scenes are together we're already being told to sit in the corner of the hall and discuss our lines, rehearsing them until we get them down. It seems like Oliver already has them memorized. I'm quite impressed. Every now and then, while he says a line, he'll lean over and touch my knee, but then he will retract himself soon after. It seems like he's gone further backwards. He also seems completely distraught over the fact, rubbing his face with his hands and growling at himself.

"Alright everyone listen up." Mr. Fasoli calls out to the hall. "The practice hall will be open every day for the next two weeks. At this exact time. The performance has been moved up by a week, which means it will be in two weeks. I apologize that we've had to push it up, but the other classes require the hall for a science week." He seems completely grossed out by the idea that the hall will be used for science rather than drama or performance. "Please make sure you grab a soundtrack and practice your lines, your songs and everything else that you might need to do. In the week leading up to the performance, we will make sure that we can run the whole thing through at least five times. This will be each day leading up to the Friday night. Also, please be sure to let your friends and family know that if they wish to purchase a ticket it is for charity. And of course, they'll need to do it very soon as most of the tickets have already been bought." Impressive, I didn't think a college play would go out that quickly. "Will you to be ready to present your duet before the end of next week? I want to make sure it is perfect for the play."

"You've used most of my songs in the play anyway, and you don't think this one will be perfect?" Oliver questions him. I understand that Oliver is a little bit upset at the moment, but he could probably turn down the sassiness.

"Mr. Pierce it is not a question of whether or not I would want your piece in the play. It will be a matter of fact of when the piece should be played in the play. I won't know for sure until I hear it." Mr. Pierce? Where have I heard that name before?

Oliver walks me home and it starts to make me realize that there is something a little bit unusual about him. Or at least about what he is.

"So vampires can go out in the sun?" I ask. He looks at me as if I just caught his attention.

"Not really, no."

"But it's sunny right now and you're outside."

"Most vampires live in a household altogether. It's easier that way to make sure that nobody accidentally opens up the curtain now and then. However, I'm an unusual circumstance and I don't live at home with my family because I don't need to stay out of the sun."

"Why is that?"

"I'm not sure. When I was a kid, something happened and it seemed like I was able to go outside in the sun and it didn't affect me anymore. I mean don't get me wrong, it still kind of hurts, but I'm not going to die from it."

"It hurts to be out in the sun?"

"Sort of. I mean I feel itchy I guess. Just really uncomfortable."

"So that's why you still stay in the attic. It's dark."

"I guess so."

"Are there any other vampires like you? Ones that can go out in the day?'

"I met one, but he could only go out in the sun, due to a very unusual circumstance."

"What was the circumstance?"

"I genuinely don't know, he won't tell anybody. If I knew perhaps, then I could find out why I can as well. Whatever it is though, I think it lets him become a bit more normal, a bit more human. His wife is a human. As I mentioned earlier, it's quite difficult to get used to, but he didn't seem to have any trouble at all. If you didn't know any better, you would just assume he was a human."