Seventeen

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"And all I loved, I loved alone

"And all I loved, I loved alone."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Astrid

Astrid

    ASTRID MITCHELS COULD not fathom why Danika had allowed him to come on this journey.
Him. He who haunted her like a ghost walking through her mind. He who she could not seem to escape at every turn she took within the maze of her life.

    He who she hated.

    Astrid was not ashamed to say she loathed Lucien. Loathed all he represented within her new life. All that he meant: the finality of her change from mortal to immortal.

    A mate meant ties. Emotion and longing, such insufferable things at the moment. Things she was not ready for. Not now when her wounds from the Cauldron were so very fresh. So open and bloodied. Her grief was still so potent.

She had been human. Had felt alive and raging and powerful even within the confines of mortality.

And now she was immortal. And Astrid had never felt more dead.

Truthfully, Lucien scared her. He scared her more than any terrors she had seen or felt in the past. He was a blade, poised at her neck and ready to strike.

She could not be his mate. Astrid could not be his anything.

Her life was no more than a tornado, and until she sorted herself and decided what this new dreadful existence meant, she would avoid him like the plague.

   It was her choice. The only one she was given. Astrid wouldn't let nature force this on her as it did so many others. This was her life. And she was the one in control.

    He was staring. She could feel him staring at her back—had been for a while now.

    It was not a leering stare—no, those she knew very well. Those felt like pokers sticking into her lightly tanned skin. This stare was...inquisitive. As though he could figure her out staring at her back.