Fifteen

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it

"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    I WAS SMUG

    I WAS SMUG. Smug and very, very scared as I landed on the grass outside of the manor. The iron wall stood behind me, the thorned roses twisting and vining throughout the structure.

    Eira and Flynn stood at the top, readying to jump just as Astrid and I already had.

    It had been the only way to get out. We could not risk the exit on the north side, too many sentinels. And it was not as though we could stroll through the front gates. And so we had had to scale the thorned walls.

    I had cuts in my hands to prove it.

    I motioned with a had, telling the two of them it was clear to jump. That there were no threats lurking in the bushes...I hoped.

    They did not hesitate. Not that they had any reason too. We had all done far worse within our short, short lives. They landed together with a thump, Flynn's face etching itself into annoyance.

    "Ugh," he drawled in a soft whisper, "I hate doing that."

    Eira's face was as it always was—concealed. Icy.

    And though I had learned most of it had been a falsity, I felt a bit of security within her dependability. Only when we were all alone did Eira ever show any inclination toward emotion. Only then did she show what I suspected she wished to be outside.

    But out here she was...unflinching. Like a rock colliding with a great sea, she did not falter.

    "Where now?" said female asked, her eyes already scanning the trees around us, her gaze sliding around so quickly it looked as though she was surrounded by invisible predators.

    I didn't say a word. Only inclined my head to the right, and began walking. Swift as the wind, and quiet as the night. I did not need to look behind me to see they followed. Even if there was no trace of the three people behind me, even in the air.