1

He's still there. I thought to myself as I gazed out of my coffee shop window. A sense of sorrow and pity coursed through my veins as I watched the rain pour outside and drench the poor man who had been sleeping outside of my shop for the past 4 weeks. His body was curled up in fetal position, and although I was a good distance away, I could see him struggle to stay dry and warm inside of his sleeping bag.

I'd ask him to come inside, at least until the weather cleared a bit, but I knew that his answer would be no. I've seen others try to get him to move from that particular spot, but the man was stubborn and determined. The thunder roared outside, causing me to shake a little on the inside. I shook my head and sighed, deciding that it was probably best to close up. I did my usual check of my shop, making sure that everything was in their right place and that all of the goods were stashed away. I locked up my register and lastly the entrance door as I made my way onto the secluded sidewalk of my city. Well, except for the lonesome man on the corner, that is.

How on earth, can he lay there comfortably? I approached him hesitantly and kneeled down to his level. "This storm doesn't bother you?" I asked, raising my voice above the loud clatter of the rain as it hit the pavement beneath my feet.

He turned slightly and looked at me. "I'm fine." He said shortly. The blankets he used as extra layers over his sleeping bag, covered majority of his face. Only his eyes were visible in the lack of light we were provided. But even then I could make out the silent plead in those chocolate colored spheres.

More thunder erupted, reminding me that I needed to get home quick. I gave him a small smile and decided to leave the conversation as it was. "Be safe out here in these wild streets." I whispered. I got to my feet and waved at him. He did not return the gesture.

"I will." He replied as he turned back over to his original position.

I sighed and made my way over towards my car. The drive home wasn't long at all. Most people were home with their family, leaving the streets pretty empty. When I walked inside my small home, I made myself a hot cup of tea and took a long shower to help wash-away the filth from the day. I made myself a quick meal that consisted of pork chops, rice and green beans. Around 10 o'clock I decided to call it a night. Yet, sleep did not come easy. I stared out my bedroom window, and watched as the rain hit my glass.

A sense of sorrow and pity coursed through my veins as I thought about the man who lay on the corner outside of my shop, without shelter from the weather.