Thirteen

After enduring Robera's silent glare and breathing curses for a while, Marion left the safe side of the wall and began inching closer to the war

His gun was raised high in alert and so was Robera's as they gradually infiltrated the wild arena of raging roboxes.

It was a suicide mission at best. But it was their only chance to catch Trevor before he escaped, if he hadn't already.

Marion's knuckles turned white from clutching the plate so tightly. His arms were about to fall off from holding it for so long. Beads of sweat began to coat his already oily and dirty tanned skin.

Robera noticed his busy arm tremble and gently grabbed his arm.

"Here, let me hold this—"

"Hold your gun," Marion gritted, tilting the plate inward to shield them from the increasing onslaught of firing.

Robera frowned.

She had been tolerating his moods for quite a while now and her patience had been running thin. She knew he was doing his best to protect her despite being in more danger than her and she admired his bravery with all her heart.

But Robera wasn't here to coddle his big guy feelings but to put an end to this war. If Marion wasn't going to listen to her then she would have no choice but to take matters into her own hands.

With pursed lips, Robera left his arm and yanked the plate closer.

"What are you—"

She ignored Marion's hissed sputtering and looped her fingers to one of the crisscrossed metal wires.

"Robera-"

"Hold the fort. I'm leading."

Marion groaned. "This isn't a fucking video game!"

"What's a video game?"

Robera bit her lips to hide a smile when Marion grumbled a curse under his breath.

She knew what a video game was. She had a wall shelf full of game DVDs and VCR sets in her bed chamber. She used to play sometimes when she would have gotten tired of studying and site-seeing out the window.

But it was more fun to mess with Marion, even while their literal lives were in danger. There was no option to save the checkpoint and reload if they died. Hell, they didn't even know if they would get to see the next sunrise after tonight.

All they had right now was this fight and she wasn't going to let her final hours on earth be full of gloomy moments. She had already shed enough tears since waking up from a decades-old slumber.

The sound of a close shot had Robera flinch out of her thoughts and she looked out to see wisps of smoke floating out of Marion's gun barrel.

Her eyes turned wide. "What are you doing?"