Ch. 2: Part Three

Start from the beginning

"Not elegant, boys." He chastised.

The young trio had the good sense to look abashed in the Professor's presence.

Damian managed to get a glare in at Anya without him noticing, anyway.

The professor nodded to Anya to throw the ball in.

She nodded back, very serious. She had to make up for failing to block.

'Now's the time to unleash Mama's technique! She raised her leg high in the air, considering with little thought if this was how you threw a soccer ball the same way as a dodgeball. She was sure it didn't matter.

The class deadpanned, knowing what was coming. She had tried this once before.

Anya breathed. Exhaled. Her eyes narrowed, focusing on her target. It was up to her. She wondered if this is what Bondman from her favourite cartoon felt like when he was against insurmountable odds.

She gripped the ball tightly as her arm reached back as far as she could. The muscles in her arm tensed, prepared to give everything that it could.

Then with as much speed and might she could muster, her leg slammed down with a mighty thud that reverberated through the gym floor, (That might have been her imagination) her arm swooshing forward like a gust of wind, faster than she could see, displaying her glorious strength and. . . .

Nothing happened.

The ball was gone.

Her hand was empty and she froze in place. She looked up. Anya had expected to see it flying across the room but saw no sign of it.

The class was quiet, stunned at her inadequacy.

She looked behind her to see the ball innocently waiting for her to pick it up. Taunting her.

Damian scoffed.

Becky glared at him.

Anya turned to grab it. Put it down in front of her. Gave it a kick.

The quiet broke as children raced all over. Sneakers squeaked loudly, lots of yelling to pass the ball. Several attempts at Wald Hall's net were made. None of them successful.

It went from student to student until Emile got a hold of it, feinted to his left, and passed to Damian.

Desmond caught it expertly. He confidently charged the net with a war cry, sending hope into his teammates. Wasting no time, he sent it flying to the left of Bill's neck with a swift boot.

As if in slow motion, and it took no effort whatsoever, Watkins grabbed it with one hand.

And that was it. Their hope deflated like a balloon that couldn't keep the air inside.

There were collective groans of disappointment from Cecil Hall.

Watkins held the ball, standing upright from his slightly crouched position. Stood tall as he raised his arm back.

He looked at Anya.

'Crap' She thought.

He was gonna aim straight for the net. She moved to the side of it. No way was she going to get hit by that. With the force Bill Watkins famously threw his balls at, it would break something.

"Hey! Idiot! What are you doing?!" Damian shouted along with other students.

"Works for me." Watkins yelled over everyone else as he sprung his arm forward.

Immediately as the ball left his fingertips, and his victory was assured, Anya faced the net and gave it a hard push.

The net was light and slid easily across the floor. A slight scraping sound accompanying it's departure as everyone silently watched.

The ball zoomed past it into the wall with a loud thwack.

Crickets. More scraping before it gently bumped into the wall.

"Heh." Anya turned to smile cheekily at Bill. She was very proud. She protected the net.

Becky laughed.

Professor Henderson blinked a couple times, not sure if that was a penalty or not.

The children didn't know what to make of this development.

"H-hey!" Bill's lone voice called from across the gym. "You can't do that!"

"Say's who!?" She retorted.

"Say's me." Professor Henderson said, followed by a couple snickers from the kids. "They're won't be a penalty, but you will not be doing that again." He decided.

A couple Wald Hall kids 'awwed' in discontent, hoping to get a shot in.

Anya pouted as she retrieved the net.

The game went on for another few rounds. Cecil Hall tried valiantly, but they didn't make any progress getting past the opposing goalie.

In the end, the score 5-0 went to Wald Hall.

"Don't feel bad about it. You tried your best." Becky told her, referring to the the goals she let through. "Not everyone was meant to an athlete." She said opening the school doors.

Anya looked at her through slitted eyes, slightly offended at the remark.

"Yeah, no kidding!" Damian taunted from up ahead, on his way back to the dorms "We lost because of you!" He said, angrily, marching down the path.

"Oh, shut it, Desmond." Becky replied sticking her tongue out at him. "It's not like you got any goals! C'mon!" Becky took Anya's hand and walked her the rest of the way to the bus. Anya gladly held Becky's hand as she felt herself tense at the unseen eyes watching her walk away and ride off on the bus.

Something bad was going to happen soon. She could feel it. A heavy sense of dread placed itself on her shoulders as if confirming it.