Part 27: Firework 🔞

Start from the beginning

"I don't know what you want me to tell you!" Her voice is hoarse but loud enough to hear over the exploding fireworks in the sky as she looks up to him.

His face is paler than usual and his drawn brows make him look so devastated.
He's playing the victim, great.

"You hurt my feelings..." she says. "And it's fine if you didn't mean to but that doesn't change the fact that you hurt me!"

The most frustrating thing about it is that she doesn't know how to go on. He can't feel sorry and she can't help but be hurt. This sucks.

"I know it doesn't! But..." He gulps. "Babygirl, am I allowed to ask a question?"
Pissed, she looks up to him, signaling with a nod to ask.

"This isn't the first time I talked to you in a kinda... rude way. My people skills aren't the best but you were never offended by it. Why are you so angry this time?"

He's not really asking this right now, is he?

"Why were you so angry?" she shouts. Why is he making it seem like this is all her fault when he's the one that was acting up first?

Kyun sighs and leans his elbows on the railing of the balcony, interlacing his artful fingers. For a long moment he stares into the night sky and Anya can't help watch him in awe. The way the fireworks reflect in his crimson eyes is probably the most beautiful thing she's ever seen.

"Envy!" he finally says and she furrows her brows.

"What?"

"You seemed to have had a good time while I didn't! I envied you." He shrugs.

Anya has a hard time believing that but there's a part of her that feels sorry for him. Why did he have a bad time? Did something happen while she was gone?

"That's it! Now your turn!"

Gulping, she follows his stare into the night sky and tries to figure out why his words hurt her so much. She's still upset about them and doesn't plan to play them down; he was harsh and insulted her. But if she's honest with herself there's another reason.

"I'm frustrated!" she mumbles, her eyes now fixed on her hands.

"What's frustrating you, babygirl?" he asks, his voice once again a smooth caress.

"You!" She sighs and looks at him. "You frustrate me! Cause I'm more attached to you than I should be. All you do for months now is tease me, play with me! I can't pleasure myself or have sex with strangers enough to fill the incredible void you leave in me! I'm so done playing along. I had this insane sex dream with you last night and it's so frustrating waking up and realizing this will never happen. Cause although lust is your biggest emotion, you refuse to touch me! And I can't help but ask myself what's wrong with me that you don't touch me, ask myself what you're waiting for! What the fuck are you waiting—"

"Consent!" he interrupts her, and her jaw drops.

"Excuse me?!"

"Consent!" he repeats and the soothing in his voice is gone. Instead he sounds pissed. "Listen to me carefully now, babygirl!" he growls, places his hand on the back of her neck, and pulls her closer by it. "The only thing that differentiates me from a fucking animal is consent! That's something I had to learn and it requires so much damn self-control to not rip the clothes off of your body every fucking minute I'm with you! For the past seventy years, ever since I've met Magnus, he's been teaching me to ask for consent, cause believe it or not I don't wanna hurt innocent people anymore, okay? I can't read people's body language, can't read what they really want. I'm too driven by lust. Sometimes they flirt, sometimes they only wanna talk. But it all looks the same to me! I need fucking consent to be sure. And it makes me so angry that I'm trying to hold myself back from you, to not hurt you, and you dare get angry with me for not using you like a fucking piece of meat! You never said out loud that you wanted me, so don't you dare complain!"