Chapter Twelve

You don't ever sleep well when you're wondering if someone's trying to make your sleep last forever. And when you live in a Columbian household where people are up all hours of the night.

Except for the early morning.

I walked to the bathroom and took off the bloody bandage. Jeremiah was wrong. It didn't pierce anything. It was just a puncture wound at the most.

I re-wrapped the wound and slid on my dress, along with a sweater to go over it. It was a blue dress. Blue wasn't my favorite color, but it complimented my skin the best.

I combed my hair back so it was bundled at the base of my head in a bun. Unlike the other women, I kept my hair long. So did my mother. It was long, straight black hair.

My father gave me the gold cross I wear everyday. Even though I'm not religious in the slightest, I still want something to remember my father by. Yeah, he was a complete fucking asshole, but he was still my dad.

I went down to the kitchen, lighting a cigarette as I did. I think I've stolen so many packs of them it'll last me forever. The smoke filled my lungs and burned my throat. I'll be lucky to live past 30.

I boiled a hot pot of water and got the coffee grounds ready. The only time I really made coffee was back at home. I hadn't had this kind of sweetness in a long time.

I poured the water through the filter and into a cup. It's 7:30 in the morning, so some of them should be getting up. I would expect Antonio to be first.

I lit another cigarette as I sat down at the table. It's lit by a single lightbulb. I wonder if there's food here. My mother always kept a full stocked supply at home, but here it's different. We're not the wealthy men we used to be. Especially not me.

"I never thought you'd be the first one up," Antonio rubbed his eyes as he lazily walked down the stairs. He was wearing a three piece suit like I had asked him. He always followed orders. He would be good in the military.

"This is actually one of the few times I've slept in." I looked up with a smile. He rolled his eyes as he poured his own cup of coffee and sat down across from me. His eyes were droopy, but they'd be normal in no time.

I felt bad about yelling at him. He's been nothing but nice to me, and I've fucked him over. I've fucked this whole family over.

"Sorry for being hard on you. I just don't want anyone to get hurt. Being involved with the Shelby's means you have to take risks, and I don't want to risk anything." I told him quickly and he drank his coffee.

"That's why you didn't want us down here. You didn't have anything to lose when we weren't here." He dryly laughed, looking at me. I couldn't help but notice the massive acne scars on his cheeks.

"Yep. Not that I don't love you, I just want you to be safe. My family being here could put us in really shitty situations really fucking fast probably gonna have to show you and Andy how to shoot." I mumbled, fumbling with my cup.

"We know how to shoot. Revolvers and rifles. Some pistols. Knives were always my favorite," he looks over at me, grinning. His grin was the same as it was years ago.

"You always liked that science shit. I could never do it. My brain doesn't work like yours." He sipped his cup more.

It was quiet for a few seconds. It's something you don't get in an Aussie household. Ever.

"Antonia, what the hell are you still doing here?" My mother asked, I furrowed my eyebrows. "And using my coffee? Have you lost your goddamn mind?" She asked me.

"Sorry?" I questioned, looking at my mother. Her hair was in a bonnet and she was in her robe.

"Since you wanna go by your fathers name, you gonna get treated like your father would." She told me matter of factly. I rolled my eyes.