Chapter Twenty Nine: Death Wish

Start from the beginning

"You're leaving again."

"Not for good. But...Yes." I grab his hand before he can argue. "Dad, there was something I didn't tell you about my time away. I found the most wonderful small town, and while I was there I...met someone. Someone who I love." I pause, realizing that it's the first time I've truly admitted it. A giggle slips out of me; a freaking giggle. "I know I sound so completely insane right now, and that's okay. But I finally know where I belong, Dad. I have friends and purpose and a future that doesn't terrify me."

My Dad says nothing for a moment, his face growing redder by the minute, and I think that he's about to yell or slam his fist against the kitchen door. But then his shoulders sag and he presses his forehead to mine. "Love is never insane, Cara. When I met your mother, everyone told me I was crazy for wanting to be with her. We – your mother and I - just want you to be happy, and healthy, and if this place can do that for you, who am I to stop you? All I ask is that you don't go silent on me like last time."

"I won't. I promise." His easy acceptance of my admission actually makes me nervous, makes everything feel more real. Suddenly, I'm three feet tall again and playing on the floor with unrolled silverware. Is this the right choice? I remind myself that this isn't goodbye; it's the start to a brand new chapter. "I'll take care of myself. And I will visit all of the time."

"You better! And I can visit you and your partner, too." He grins at the empty restaurant. "It might be nice to get away from this beast for a little while."

"For sure! Uh..." I cringe, realizing that I've forgotten a major issue. "Well, the thing is, you can only visit us on Halloween."

"What? That's weird." His brows furrow. "Why is that?"

I have to laugh. "It's a long story. Maybe I'll tell it someday."

***

It's probably my imagination, but the very air seems to change the moment that I cross the border into Massachusetts. What started nearly two months ago as an anxiety-ridden drive through dying forests feels like a pilgrimage towards my destiny. Towards everything I've ever wanted.

Only when I enter the city limits of Neverton and pull up the rocky drive to Death's mansion does it dawn on me that I may face some opposition. I'll certainly have a lot of explaining to do, especially to Love. And Mem; I hate how I left things with her.

But those thoughts flee my mind the moment that I cut off my scooter's sturdy engine and watch the front door of the house fly open. A familiar, high-pitched voice calls across the lawn, and I feel as though someone is inflating my heart like a balloon. "CARA!! YOU'RE HERE! DEATH, CARA'S BACK!"

I wave to Lisa – and then Love steps forward behind the little girl, arms folded over her chest. My joy dissipates like a thin fog as quickly as it'd appeared, even when I see Death poke his head through the door, too. From here, I can't read any of their expressions.

All I can do is keep my head high as I pick my way across the lawn and, quite ungracefully, tug my luggage behind me. The third wheel keeps getting caught in the gravel, and by the time I lug it up the steps and reach the front porch I'm sure that I'm red, sweaty, and breathless. In other words, a real treat to be greeted by unexpectedly.

"I knew you'd be back! Where did you go?" Lisa asks, among a million other questions. Death snaps himself out of his dumbfounded stupor long enough to send her to the kitchen for a glass of water. She leaves begrudgingly, and I face Death in the doorway. He's just as impossibly beautiful as I remembered, if a little unshaven, and regards me with tightly-leashed hope. He's wearing an I Heart NYC t-shirt. I have the ridiculous thought that he'd put it on because of me, and then my balloon-heart inflates again so that it's close to popping.