Chapter Three

It is so silent, that Victoria can hear her own, steady heartbeat. Beside her, Mrs Tarlow's face has gone completely white with fear. Victoria stares at the soaked pirate. She watches with an amused smile as his face grows redder and redder.

His hand reaches down for the knife on his belt.

"She didn't mean anything by it, sir," Mrs Tarlow says quickly. Her eyes dart around the room, looking at all the other pirates who are watching the scene unfold with curious expressions. Mrs Tarlow holds up her shaking hands and she gulps.

"Let's just calm down," she says slowly, her voice trembling.

"Nah, I don't think so," the pirate says. There is a sudden, silver flash. It hurtles toward Victoria. Beside her, Mrs Tarlow flinches and cowers, a scream leaving her mouth.

The blade never meets its target.

Victoria casually ducks her head. The dagger slams into the wooden post behind her, the blade wobbling. Calmly, Victoria turns and pulls the dagger from the wall. She brings the blade up to her face and inspects it as the pirates stare at her in shocked silence. Mrs Tarlow looks at her with wide eyes and slowly straightens her body.

Victoria lifts her head and looks back at the pirate, raising her brow. She spins the knife expertly in her hands as she looks into his eyes.

"From now on, you all pay for your drinks," she tells them calmly and pockets the blade into the straps of her pinny.

Thessaly breaks the silence by laughing. Her giggles are wild and shrill. As she continues to laugh, the other pirates soon start joining in. Some slap the soaked pirate's back as his face somehow gets even redder.

"I like her," Thessaly giggles and rushes up to the bar. She drops onto the counter a handful of gold lunla. Mrs Tarlow gasps.

"No, ma'am that-"

Victoria interrupts her by taking the coins. "That will cover you all for the rest of the evening," she tells Thessaly. Then, she turns and puts the coins into the front pocket of Mrs Tarlow's pinny with a smile. Well, all but one, which she keeps for herself.

"You're mad, girl," Mrs Tarlow says breathlessly. Victoria winks at her and turns back to the pirates.

"Now are we done with petty games and challenges? Isn't it time to party already?" she asks and grabs the handles of multiple tankers and lifts them off the bar. She carries them out into the main hall.

As she slams down the first set on the closest table, the pirates start laughing and cheering. They grab at the tankards and begin gulping them down. Mrs Tarlow joins her, bringing more tankards out to the other tables.

Soon, the small space loud with laughter, shouting and the slamming of tankards onto the tables. Victoria walks over to the table in the corner where the shadowy figure sits. Just as she is about to put the tankard down, he leans forward.

"Not for me," he says, his voice deep. Victoria looks at him. His face is still steeped in shadows. She can see little strands of his greyish-white hair behind the hood.

"Suit yourself," Victoria says, then turns from him and puts the tankard on another table.

As the drinks start flowing more, the room gets louder and louder. Some of the pirates play instruments. They are a mixture of stringed, drums, and wooden flutes. It isn't long before the room is filled with merry singing. Victoria sings with them and dances in between going back and forth to fill up more tankards.

As she returns to the bar once more, her heart racing and panting for breath, Mrs Tarlow shakes her head.

"You're a crazy woman," she says and hands Victoria more tankard. Victoria grins wickedly, enjoying the buzz that rushes through her.