Anya knows him!

"Wait!" She says and straightens her dress. "You're Joohoney, right?"

Inwardly she squeals like a little fangirl. Since he's a Korean musician, she never thought she'd ever meet him.

His jaw drops in surprise. "You know me?"

Smiling, she nods. "Of course! I'm a huge fan of your music!"

During her career, she's met a lot of artists. But there are still a few she hasn't met and has been longing to, and there are definitely a lot that makes her feel like a small teenage fangirl. Joohoney is one of them.

The dude smiles so brightly that she's scared it might hurt his face.

"I had no idea I'm..." he stammers. "I didn't know you would know, I mean... I'm such a huge fan as well and..."

"Don't be nervous! Please!" she says and lays her hand on his arm. "I really love your work. You're an amazing artist!"

Jooheon laughs. "If you want me to stop being nervous you have to stop complimenting me like this!"

They chuckle.

"Thanks for catching me!" She smiles shyly, not quite sure how to go on from here.

"Was my pleasure!" He nods and scratches his head, nervously. "Do you... wanna grab a drink?"

Anya's heart skips a giant beat and she nods firmly. "Yes!"

"I inhaled your Psyche album!" she says after they got their drinks and sat down. "DIA is such a great song, I'm addicted to it! And I love that you wrote it for your mother, I mean... this makes it even better!"

She can see that Joo is overwhelmed by all her praise; his ears are almost the same color as Kyun's eyes. But she's fangirled enough about him to know that he likes it. He loves appreciation and she's so happy to give him her honest feedback here.

"How come you're into my music?" he asks. "You must not understand much."

"So?" Shrugging, she takes a sip. "I don't have to understand Korean to feel your music!"

He grins, his eyes fixed on the drink in his hand, and blushes. That's interesting for her to see. Joohoney the performer and Jooheon the person are two different human beings. Kind of like her. Well... until she met Kyun...

"That means a lot coming from you!" he says and she hears the happiness in his voice. "Wait till I tell my team that you've heard my music..." He raises his eyebrows and chuckles. And again she can't help but join. He's too cute.

"We should totally work together sometime!"

This has been her wish ever since she heard his first mixtape. But she didn't know if he knew about her existence.

Joo's eyes snap to hers, and his lips part in a stunned expression.  "What? With me? But... I'm no one compared to you!"

This hurts her. He should be bigger than her. He should be bigger than anyone else. With his talent, his rap skills, and his incredible singing voice, he should be on top of the music industry... 

"I don't collaborate with people for clout!" she explains. "I collaborate with them when I really wanna work with them, and you've been on my list for such a long time now. To be honest, I had no idea how to reach out to you. I wasn't even sure you'd know me!"

Anya knows she sounds desperate. But when she really wants something she can be pretty passionate about it.

"I'm just... I'm..." he stammers, his ears turning red again and she lays her hand on his arm.

"Please say yes!" 

He nods firmly. "Yes! I mean of course!"

A happy little squeal escapes her throat.
The Joohoney wants to work with her!

Smiling, she opens her bag.  "This is my card. Give me a call, okay? I'd love to work on it together in person but if you have to go back to Korea soon, we can make it work online!"

"No! I'm here for a few months!" He smiles and her knees grow a little weak. His smile is so sincere, his joy all but blinding "We can totally meet up!"

For a few hours they sit together, talk, laugh, and enjoy each other's presence. He tells her a lot about the music industry in Korea and Anya realizes that while she thought her life was busy, it's nothing compared to his and absolutely nothing compared to those of K-Pop girl and boy bands. The pressure that they're under is immense, and for the first time, she actually realizes that she can consider herself lucky for being able to make her own decisions, for being able to date whoever she wants, for being as free as she is. 

Joo isn't a K-Pop star but a K-Rap star. The rules for him aren't as strict but still, he has to obey what his label says. And there's still a chance they might decline his wish to work with her. She certainly hopes this won't happen.

Anya knows how these companies think. A collaboration with her might help make Jooheon more famous in the western world, bringing money to the company. They'd be stupid if they prohibited this. All she can do is be patient and hope for the best.

"Anya," Jooheon says, looking at his watch. "I'm really sorry but I have to leave now! I promised to meet up with some friends at midnight!"

She feels a little pang in her chest. Jooheon distracted her well and she hates the thought of him leaving. Not even to mention her dread of another New Year's countdown.

"Oh, oh yeah, of course!"

He seems to notice her sadness about it. His brow furrowed, he presses his lips together. "I'm sorry!"

"Oh my god, no!" Hastily she shakes her head and grabs his hands. "Please, Joo, it's alright! Go!"

Before she has the chance to consider her actions, she leans closer and kisses his cheek. "Don't forget to call me!"

Again he blushes. "As if I could! Have a great night, gorgeous. And Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year to you too!"

Sighing, she watches Jooheon leaving and slumps down on her seat. With him gone the memory of Kyun and their fight becomes unbearable again.

Cranky about the way Kyun influences her mood, she gets up and walks through the crowd of people to the bar to get another drink. Once it's in her hand, there's only a minute left.

She takes a deep breath.
Here we go...

Forcing her facial muscles into the shape of a smile, she looks at the people around her, already pulling their beloved ones close as they begin the countdown.

"Ten! Nine! Eight!"

Somebody please get her out of here.

"Seven! Six! Five!"

She should've just stayed at home.

"Four! Three! Two!"

Oh, if only Kyun were here.

"ONE!"

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

The people cheer loudly, clink their glasses, and she raises hers to them.

Just a second later they all turn to their partners to kiss passionately and shower each other with sweet words and declarations of love.

This is just... great. So much worse than she expected.

As she's about to take another sip, she feels a strong grip on her waist. Before she can react, she feels lips on hers and suddenly it's as if all the anger, the frustration, the sadness disappears from her body, and she is flying.