Episode 4

It took me a while to open my eyes; I felt weird and exhausted.

When I finally opened them, I found myself back in the Shibuya crossing, amidst the smoke and debris caused by the fight with the King of Spades.

I slowly sat up and to my great surprise, I found that all my wounds were gone and that was not the only amazing thing; next to me I also saw the others, who were waking up and they too were perfectly healed, except Heiya, who was still missing half a leg and had a prosthesis instead of it and Niragi, whose face was covered in scars from the burns.

Izumi was next to me, and before I could even help myself, I found myself asking "How are you?"

"Definitely not an experience I'd do again." She replied ironically.

This time she was wearing baggy dark pink sweatpants, cut up in places, and a white tank top, bloodstained in here and there.

We were all healed, but kinda of a mess for everything else.

"Are you all okay?" Arisu asked.

We exchanged reassuring glances, then Kuina asked the question that must have come naturally to everyone. "How long do you think it lasted?"

"Hard to tell." Izumi answered. "And it is also very odd that on this side too our wounds have healed."

The scar on her neck was clearly visible, as were the torn clothes of the others or some bruises' marks on their skin.

"This place is all odd." Niragi complained.

"Yeah." Heiya echoed him.

"Who knows how we all ended up here, as well." Kuina said again.

"I stopped asking myself these kinds of questions a while ago." Arisu rubbed his neck.

"Do you think we're the only ones left?" Usagi asked.

"It'd seem so and I guess we won't have our answers until we finish all the Joker's Games." Izumi said, standing up.

"Do you think we'll eventually figure out who the Game Master is?" Arisu asked her.

"I hope so." But Izumi's tone of voice was strange... like as if she actually hoped we didn't find him. I wondered why...

"Well, what now?" As soon as Niragi finished speaking, Shibuya's screens lit up once again.

This time the Joker card appeared, and underneath it read "Game Arena this way", with a large arrow pointing the direction.

I felt like I went back in time, when I had just arrived in that place and I too had to follow similar directions to find my first Game Arena.

"Okay, so it's that way." Kuina said.

"But it didn't say what symbol it is." Heiya pointed out to us.

"I really think we'll find out once in the Game Arena." I said, walking away.

It really seemed that in the Joker's Games, the symbol was revealed to us only once the Game started, as was the case for the numbered cards.

We walked for quite a while and I, as usual, isolated myself, hearing only the buzz of the others in the background.

I put my hands in my pockets and got lost in my thoughts.

Who knew what symbol we had to face...and who knew what would have happened...

Of one thing I was certain at that point, I didn't want to die, not now, not after I got there; so if I had to "break away from the team" to survive, I would have.