Worn out feelings

Start from the beginning

I caught sight of a tree branch on the floor, and as I moved to go pick it up, my hand was grabbed from behind. I let out a scream and turned to use my bag to smack the person. A muffled grunt escaped the person's mouth as they held me tighter. I don't give a damn who it is, but if they think they could creep up one like that, then they got another thing coming. I was about to aim for the balls of the man when a familiar scent hit me.

"Luke?" I asked in surprise

"Ow. Yes, it's me. Geez what was that for?" He asked, rubbing the spot I had hit him on the head.

"I should be asking you, what was that? Why are you hovering at the corner of my pouch in the dark?" I asked.

"Well I came to see you, but you weren't home. So I decided to wait around for you since you weren't picking up my calls," he said.

I bit my lips, feeling a little guilty that I had ignored his calls and texts on purpose. But what was I to do? Zayn was literally occupying my mind.

"Sorry, I was out with someone and didn't pay much attention to my phone," I said. It wasn't a complete lie, I was out with Zayn, and all my attention had been on that god of a man.

"Who were you with this late into the night?" Luke asked his tone unenthusiastic.

I wasn't going to tell him I was with Zayn for the entirety of today, and that I fell asleep in his arms at a furniture store. He already thinks I'm flirting with every guy on the streets. So instead of answering the question, I changed the subject by asking him one of my own questions.

"So what did you need to see me about?"

Luke ignored my question but instead stepped closer to me and took in a deep breath. Then he said, "Were you with Zayn?"

What the hell, how could he tell I was with Zayn by sniffing me? Did Zayn's perfume rub off on me or something?

"Answer me, were you with that prick Zayn?" He demanded

Something inside me snapped at him name calling Zayn. No one gets to talk about my Zayn like that.

Ugh, I called him my Zayn again.

I need to school my mind and remind myself that Zayn isn't mine. But that would have to wait for later, right now I needed to school Luke first.

"Who I was with outside of business hours is none of your concern, Luke. And don't you dare disrespect Zayn like that" I barked.  Luke was shocked, and so was I.

In my two years of knowing Luke, never had I ever snapped at him like this. I usually just took whatever shit he threw at me and shoved it down, then go cry about it later. The existence of Zayn as a whole is throwing my entire personality off.

His shocked expression soon fell to an angry one, "so you and Zayn are best friends now huh" he said

I rolled my eyes and pushed to walk past him. "If you aren't here for anything Luke then be on your way," I said, fumbling for my keys once more.

"Wait, no I need to talk to you" he hurriedly said.

I ignored him as I inserted my keys in the lock and started to unlock it.

"Please?" he added softly, tugging on my heartstrings. I hate that I can never say no to him, that there's this crazy pull between us that I can't fight.

I paused my movements and turned to him. "Well, what do you want?"

"Can I come in first?" he requested.

I looked from my half-open door to him and contemplated letting him in. I've always dreamed about him coming to my home and we could spend some time together and maybe end up cuddling. However, that dream was futile and I know it wasn't about to come true now. He now had a girlfriend, so he really shouldn't be at my house this late in the night. We weren't close anymore.