Chapter 22 - Change of Plans

Courtney's POV

It made me very curious when Alex came over and took Hunter outside to talk. He said it had nothing to do with Daniel, so why couldn't whatever it was be said in front of me? Did it have something else to do with me? The thought buzzed in my head as I waited for them to return. Did I do something wrong, or something that worried them?

Ideas and theories kept flying through my mind as I thought of what they could possibly be talking about. I was so lost in my thoughts that my brain was pretty scattered by the time Hunter had rushed back in. Feeling his arms around me, and hearing the sudden "I love you" was definitely surprising, but also welcomed. He didn't have to explain that he wanted to make sure I remembered that. I could already tell by the tone of his voice.

It was nice to hear it, and it filled me from head to toe in soft warmth, but why was there a sudden urgency in his actions? Why was he practically rushing to get in here to tell me this? Even through the wonderful gesture, questions still danced in my head.

When Alex came back in, and when we began to talk about Daniel, I saw the events of yesterday began to unfold before me once again. The news that Daniel was doing alright stirred some relief in my chest, but it stirred more fear and worry than anything else. He might come looking for me...

Hunter must have known what I was thinking when I felt his arm slip over my shoulders, though it had caused me to jump as I snapped out of the scene. I took a breath and tried to relax. Things were different now and it was going to be alright. I just had to trust Hunter, John, and Alex to do whatever they do and everything will work out.

What made me very happy was that there was now a plan in place to get the things I so desperately wanted. Just thinking about having them in my possession once more was enough to make a smile appear on my lips. The journal, the picture frame, and the necklace were of no need to Daniel, but they were treasure to me. Seeing that Hunter was okay with the idea of retrieving them, I wasn't worried at all.

I felt at ease once everything was settled, and I watched Hunter leave to retrieve pants at Alex's request. However, it was after he left the kitchen that the plans began to change.

"Perfect. I knew that would get him out of the way for a few moments." I looked over at Alex, raising a questioning eyebrow at him. He looked at me and gave me a sly smile. "So, tonight, when Hunter finally dozes off, you're going to come with me to get these things," he said as he held up the note in his fingers. "You may as well learn as fast as possible since your boyfriend is pretty much a criminal."

Now I was confused. "Wait, what?" I shook my head at him, my eyebrows furrowed. "You're going to sneak me out for this? What happened to the gang going to get it, and the fact that Hunter doesn't want me near that house? Not to mention that I don't really want to go to that house myself and that you would have to get me past Hunter. I would love to see you actually try that."

Alex just continued smiling. "Well, I know for a fact that Hunter isn't going to leave you home alone right now thanks to the circumstances so, you're right, there is no way for me to sneak you past him." He shrugged slightly, crossing his arms over his chest. "He is very protective of you and doesn't want you to leave this house, which is understandable. He is probably planning to send me and Tyler, and possibly John, to go and get these things."

I nodded along. "You know you are giving points for my side of the argument, right?" I asked, not seeing how this was helping his side.

Alex leaned forward slightly. "I may also mention that we would probably be sent out at dark for better cover, as well as give him another quiet night alone with you." He smirked and shot me a wink. I felt my cheeks warm and shook my head, a bit hard.