Chapter 14 - Carefree Hours

Courtney's POV

It was quiet around the house as I relaxed with Hunter on the couch. We were watching some strange show that he liked, though I was hardly paying attention. John and Alex were still working on the meeting. John had arranged for today, later this afternoon. I had hardly slept last night over it all.

I had tossed and turned, picturing the meeting over and over and over again in my mind. I thought of Hunter and John being there, watching us closely, as Daniel comes up to the meeting spot. He was angry, fuming, police with him, everyone shouting. Every time, I almost jump out of bed with a scream. I'm surprised Hunter hadn't heard me yet.

Sitting there now, I tried to put the meeting out of my mind. I just wanted to focus on now, this moment, here with Hunter. I just wanted to forget about it all.

I felt Hunter move, bringing me out of my thoughts. He sighed softly as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. My head lay gently against his shoulder as he settled comfortably again. His show was coming to an end now. "Well, we still have about six hours until we have to leave. John and Alex will no doubt stay busy till then so it's just you and me here."

I couldn't help but let out a huff of amusement and looked up at him smiling. "Well, isn't that fun?" I asked playfully. It was strange, but amazing, how he could so easily take my mind off of anything that was plaguing me. With one look, he could change everything. "What would you like to do?"

He laughed lightly as he looked at me. "I think I should be the one asking that question, not the other way around."He gave me a wink then pulled me closer, even though there wasn't much space left for me to be closer. "Considering it's possibly the last day we have together, I think it should be something special."

I felt a pang in my chest at his words. It was partially because of the fact that I could very well be leaving, but it was also because he thought of me enough to want this day to be special. "Can we not think about me leaving?" I asked, my voice growing soft. "I don't want to have that on my mind right now. I just want to be here with you." Gently I reached up and gave him a soft kiss, which he returned.

Blinking up at him, I noticed a sad smile now graced his features. "I'm sorry," he murmured. "You're right. I've just never been a very optimistic person. That's all." I just nodded, understanding. I knew this was hard on him, just like it was hard on me.

He grinned a bit after a moment and slid his arm away from around my shoulders. He stood up and grabbed my hand, bringing me up as well. He reached down and shut off the TV and nodded towards the stairs. "Come on. I should probably get dressed." I laughed lightly now. I had gotten dressed soon after waking up this morning before coming down. Hunter, however, had yet to change from his sweatpants with no shirt.

He laced his fingers with mine and led me up the stairs. The sound of our footsteps was the only sound for the few minutes it took to reach his bedroom door. Upon seeing his bedroom for the first time since I've been here, I was surprised by the sight that met me. His room was very clean compared to the rest of the house. His floor was clear, his bed made, and all the drawers were shut and didn't seem to be forced shut.

However, there was one thing in the room that seemed like complete chaos. It was a small desk in the corner with papers of all different shapes and sizes scattered all over its surface. But one thing caught my eye as I looked at the desk. Setting carefully on the corner of the desk's surface was a small picture frame holding two boys with in. One was older and one was a bit younger.

"Make yourself comfortable." Hunter's voice brought my gaze away from the picture and back to him. "I'm going to go get changed in the bathroom."

He walked over to his closest as I stepped over to the bed. He grabbed the clothes he would change into and disappeared into the bathroom as I sat on the edge of the bed. I looked at the photo as I waited, studying it a bit. I wonder if that's Hunter and Alex. I looked from the picture back to the desk. I wonder if he needs a woman's help to organize a bit. I laughed lightly at the thought of a strong man like him needing help from a smaller woman.