Ch 30: Gift of the Forest

Start from the beginning

"Hey wouldn't we be better off trying to lure him back to that drop down ceiling or something?" Yusuke called out, and Yumiko growled in annoyance with how little faith the detective seemed to have in her bond. She was about to say something, but Hiei beat her to it.

"Obviously you are underestimating Kurama." He said as Kurama walked further into the room, an unconcerned smile on the older fox's face. "Do you know why I chose him to be my partner? To avoid fighting him myself. Watch. He's more cutthroat than I am when it comes to battle, and unbelievably precise."

Yumiko nodded at his words, hand absentmindedly moving to a welt that was still healing on her wrist. She had felt that precision several times during their training. He was a master at well aimed, and meaningful blows in the practice clearing, and she was desperate to see what he could do in earnest.

_______

"Sir, the first move is yours." Kurama stated in a calm, indeed almost kind manner, his gentle smile directed at the demon before him, even as his old partner spoke so highly of him. He could feel his little pet's eyes on the back of his head, and felt her eager energy washing through their connection as she watched. It was for the curiosity in the little vixen's bond that he smiled. He would be sure, not to disappoint her.

The two demons faced each other in a silent standoff for several moments, neither moving an inch as that smile slowly faded to a blank, studious expression.

"HEY!! STONE MAN'S DOING SOMETHING FREAKY WITH HIS TAIL!!!" Yusuke shouted, and Kurama could hear multiple gasps behind him as the others noticed what he himself had not.

A grinding sound had him turning his head, just as Genbu's tail launched from behind him! He leapt out of the way, but grunted as the scorpion-like tail slashed across his stomach.

Across the room, Yumiko let out a pained gasp, and fell to her knees, clutching her own abdomen as she watched blood fly from the wound Kurama had received.

"KURAMA!!" She screeched, even as Yusuke did the same, but she had more to say. "I KNOW YOU LIKE TAKING A FEW HITS FIRST, BUT I DON'T!!" She scolded hotly, pushing a healing aura into her aching abdomen.

He knelt as he hit the ground with a grunt, and glared at the girl, a pointed look that said 'Enough'. She was right of course, he could have easily avoided the blow altogether, but the bit of information he had gained from the hit was well worth it. He was piecing that information together when Genbu spoke again, another gravelly laugh filling the room.

"Thanks to my body's structure, I can become one with any type of rock. With a little rearranging, I can make any stone, my tail! And since this whole chamber is made of stone, I have you surrounded. THERE'S NOWHERE TO RUN!!!"

"Oh man, now he's wounded!" Yusuke spoke aloud as Kurama got back to his feet. He could feel a cooling sensation over the wound, and glanced to where Yumiko's palm was glowing over her own stomach, sending her healing aura as far through the partial bond as she could. 'If your bond was whole, she could heal it for you completely...' Yoko scolded, hoping the boy would not dig his grave in this stone room. *Now is not the time, Yoko...*

Kuwabara placed a shaky hand on Yusuke's shoulder, muttering into his ear just loud enough for the fox to overhear. "Maybe we should help!"

"There is no need!" Kurama called over his shoulder, then glanced to the younger fox. "I've been hurt, but he will not take me by surprise again."