Chapter 19: Restless

YEAR 130 AC

Unfortunately, the flame coming from Vermithor's mouth didn't hit Daemon. Caraxes, much smaller in size, yet much more experienced in battle, dodged the attack in a blink of an eye. Vermithor, with his rider on his back, had no intentions of giving up: a colossal bronze dragon soared into the fray. His gleaming scales shimmered in the moonlight as he unleashed another scorching torrent of flame upon his adversaries. A loud, almost inhumane scream was heard that very moment: a bit of fire brushed over Rhaenyra's leg. The princess, on top of her loyal Syrax, was trying to attack Daena from the right, however, happened to end up in a fiery attack by a much bigger competitor.

"Oh, fuck!" She yelled, groaning in pain. Her grip on the saddle grew slightly looser, yet she was still holding onto her dragon tight.

Another Dracarys - and Caraxes, a fearsome red dragon known for his reckless and ferocious nature, released another column of flames directed towards his rider's daughter. Vermithor's immense size and strength granted him a significant advantage in that particular confrontation. With each powerful flap of his wings, he generated gusts of wind capable of extinguishing the flames of the Blood Wyrm. The move of the beast, however, was so sudden and harsh, that it almost cost Daena her very life: for a brief moment she was hanging in the air, barely clinging to the only strap of leather sticking out as a bridle. She quickly regained her balance, seated in her saddle, but her body was still shaking from the avoided risk of her imminent death. She didn't shed a single scream while that happened, though: the last thing she wanted Daemon and Rhaenyra to see was her fear.

At that point of the battle, it seemed like the riders had completely lost control of their dragons: the majestic beasts now had their own fight, bearing the sentiments of their masters in their complicated minds. Syrax tried biting into Vermithor's neck, yet was violently pushed away with all her strength, causing her to swirl in the air and lose control over her movement for a split second. Rhaenyra found herself in the same situation as Daena had minutes ago, her body in the air, the bridle hardly saving her from the tragic end. The Bronze Fury, despite his age and possible lack of battle experience, was dominating in the clash. However, it seemed to be quite offensive to Caraxes, or rather to both him and his rider. As another attack of the Blood Wyrm was avoided by Daena, she heard Daemon's scream:

"You, Aegon's whore!"

The line made Daena laugh, almost hysterically: they were all fighting for their lives, and that was the only thing that was on Rogue's Prince mind? Well, she found it to be a perfect opportunity to annoy him even more. The thought of it alone made Daena tremble in excitement.

"Not only Aegon's, father! I am fucking Aemond as well!" She screamed, following the sentence with a hysteric laugh, which some would even evil.

Daena wanted him to turn crimson in fury. She wanted to see him mad. She wanted her revenge. For her mother, for her son, for Jaehaerys, for Helaena, even for her deceased Lannister husband. For the inheritance of Runestone, which she was deprived of because of the Rogue Prince. For the countless lives he ruined. 

Daemon's face did go red in anger and embarrassment, but the darkness of the night deprived his daughter of the sweet opportunity to witness it. The rage was only growing in Daemon's heart as Daena's words hit his ears. At that moment he felt that there was no fatherly love left in him. Some would doubt it had ever been there to begin with, but whatever it was, or wasn't, it was now completely gone. But well, even if Daena was to find out about it, it wouldn't make her too miserable, as the only feeling she had in heart for her sire was genuine disgust.

In a few moments Caraxes ended up slightly succeeding in his attempts to cause at least a small damage to his bronze rival: he suddenly bit into his side, and although he was pushed away almost instantly, the deafening roar of Daena's beast stunned her at once. Vermithor, infuriated by the audacious attack, sunk his teeth deeply into Syrax's throat. Rhaenyra's dragon simply happened to be nearby, and ended up in the mouth of the Bronze Fury by accident, as his attack was targeted at Caraxes. Daena gasped, her eyes growing wide, as she witnessed the mere head of Syrax swiftly falling all the way to the waters of the Bay, and so followed the she-dragon's now lifeless body, taking Rhaenyra with it. The terrified scream of the Princess shattered the skies. Targaryen Lady's eyes were following her till she was no longer in sight, while the expression of dread and panic froze on her face.