Chapter 12: Mournful

YEAR 129 AC

The journey back to King's Landing took Daena a total of six days and six nights. It was notably easier and more enjoyable than her initial travel, thanks to the furs Lord Stark had kindly bestowed upon her the day they first met. Parting ways on the morning of the fifth day, Daena began her homeward journey. Before allowing her to depart, Cregan Stark expressed his deep admiration for her, hinting at his romantic interest in her. The Lord seemed to consider the possibility of marrying Daena himself someday. However, her response quickly dashed his hopes. She regretfully informed him that she was not free to marry, as she was already betrothed. As for why she chose to lie, Daena found herself unable to provide a clear answer. At that moment, it simply felt like the right thing to say, and so she trusted her instincts.

* * *

"How could you do that?! Were you out of your mind?! Oh, the Seven, have mercy on my soul..." Queen Alicent's voice was loud enough to be heard beyond the walls of her chambers, which immediately attracted Daena's attention. For she had just landed in Red Keep, she intended to visit her mother and siblings first, to share the proud news of her success with them. Instead, it seemed like, the members of her family were preoccupied with something Daena was not at all aware of.

She hastily knocked on the door of the Queen's chambers, and after she was allowed to come in, she stepped over the threshold of the room. As was expected, Alicent wasn't alone: Aemond was standing in front of her, his face grim and sorrowful. Helaena was sitting on a small ottoman, her expression almost emotionless. All of them turned their gazes to Daena. A look of confusion froze on the Lady's face, as she was looking at Alicent.

"Your Grace, you are heard all over the castle. What had happened to enrage you like that?" She asked, a note of worry heard in her voice.

"Lucerys Velaryon is dead, Daena." The Queen said, sighing heavily as her eyes shifted to her second son.

"What?" Daena uttered. "Lucerys? How?"

Aemond, feeling the heaviness of judgment in his mother's eyes, pressed his lips together.

"I didn't intend to do it. Am I a fool to you? Vhagar did not obey, I could do nothing." His voice both saddened and annoyed as he was giving the Queen a guilty gaze.

Daena, having heard that only line, felt how her body was growing heavy. Confusion was filling her whole being, as she was trying to process what was said by Aemond.

Minutes later, what happened was explained to Lady Targaryen in detail. She couldn't wrap her head around the mere thought of the described happening, let alone realize the realness of the situation. Her eyes were focused on Aemond the whole time, as she was trying to read his emotions. She couldn't, just couldn't believe that he, her Aemond, could slay his nephew in such a cruel manner, in cold blood. She could see, or wanted to see, the regret in his eyes. Daena knew her brother too well: he did bad things in his life, a lot of which Daena was a witness, which bestowed her with a certain ability to read his intentions behind them. Moreover, why would he consciously harm Lucerys at that moment? This was the wrongest timing of all, taken that full-scale civil war was about to break out. However, one thing contradicted another: Aemond said that Vhagar couldn't be controlled. But dragons, as it was known, have a very strong, almost supernatural bond with their riders, and an ability to read their riders' emotions was one of these odd things the ancient beasts could do. Daena, as mentioned before, knew her brother quite well, so it didn't take her long to conclude that Aemond indeed wanted Lucerys dead. That was understandable to her: throughout the years she saw the second prince struggling with the pains of his scar, being unable to see properly and risking to die of infection any day. She heard him rage, she heard him cry... However, despite his desire for vengeance, did he want and mean to kill his nephew that day, with everyone in Storm's End being witnesses to their feud? Taking the situation and Aemond's sharp mind, it was quite unlikely.