Chapter 20

Everly ~

My steps were cautious and my entire body felt rigid and tense as I served the members of general Ronan's table.

In an attempt to become invisible, I held my breath when I poured their wine and tried to avoid eye contact at all cost. I stared at anything except their faces as I served them and as I looked down at the table a familiar piece of jewelry caught my eye.

I quickly checked my own wrist and found it bare, remembering that I had discarded my bracelet when receiving my ink marking. My bracelet was now draped across the delicate wrist of the nymph who sat at Ronan's side.

"Is there a problem dear Everly?" Kaes hummed, noticing my lack of movement.

"Uh no, I just... I have a bracelet that looks just like that."

The blonde nymph tried to cover it with her free hand, but the general took hold of her wrist and placed it back onto the table. He seemed to be just as interested in the bracelet as I was, which was odd.

Ronan turned his massive body to glance at my bare wrist before addressing the nymph directly.

"Does this belong to you?" He asked coldly, pointing to the bracelet on her wrist.

"I...I found it in the courtyard. It was too beautiful to leave in the dirt." She stammered, clearly flustered by the general's deep voice.

His eyes never left the bracelet and he remained silent for a brief moment.

"Remove it." Ronan commanded.

Doing as she was told, the nymph untied the beaded string and placed it on the table with shaking hands.

"You are dismissed." He added with an icy tone that made the nymph gasp in disbelief.

"I didn't steal it. You have my word I..."

"You. Are. Dismissed." Each word was firm and unyielding.

Her eyes shot to me and narrowed with anger as she forced her body to a standing position and stormed away, flipping her long blonde hair in my face as she passed.

Ronan didn't flinch or react as the irritated nymph stormed away, but several of his men sneered and joked at her expense.

He took the small beaded strand in his large hand and held it out to me. When I didn't immediately fetch it, he held it a little higher and huffed out an irritated breath.

"It's yours is it not?" He muttered.

"Yes, thank you." I quickly took the bracelet from his hand and stuffed it in the pocket of my dress.

"Put it on." He ordered in a deep voice that made my stomach drop.

"I don't have to wear it now. I can wait and..." Ronan cut me off before I could utter another word.

"Put it on. Now." The word now was sharp and his lip snarled up at my hesitation and defiance.

My hand shot down into my pocket as I retrieved the bracelet and attempted to fasten it to my shaking wrist. Tying it on one handed wasn't the easiest task, but I managed, tightening the string with my teeth.

I held my wrist out toward the angry general, showing him that I had complied with his command. His deep scowl was ever present as he looked down at my wrist, staring with an intensity that made me feel uneasy and exposed.

He suddenly became aware of his staring and physically shook his head as if he was breaking a trance and rejoined the conversation of the table.

"Sit." He ordered without looking at me.