Chapter 8: Terrible Liar

Summary: important conversations happen and some important...bonding

—————

"Can you get out, Suguru? Y/n and I need to talk."

Your hands are balled so tightly into fists in your lap, you can see the white of your knuckles. You glance into the rear view mirror, making brief eye contact with Suguru before he's climbing out without a word. The air feels thick. It feels so thick you don't even think you could move if you wanted to. A long sigh leaves Satoru's lips and you know this won't end well."

"Help me to understand", he begins. "What Utahime said back there - about you practically fucking Suguru on the dance floor - what did she mean? Because I don't think her seeing you two dance together would make her run off and ditch you at the club."

You keep your eyes glued to your hands. You can't bear to look at Satoru right now, to know that if you meet his gaze, it will give everything away. The night got away from you. The feelings you swore you would never act on brought to the surface the moment Suguru pulled you into him. You were swept up in Suguru, consumed by Suguru. His touch, his smell, his voice . It all tore the walls you wanted to keep up down within a matter of minutes.

Satoru's body shifting made you close your eyes, trying to find the words to explain what Utahime saw. If you lied to him, not that you wanted to, Utahime would surely tell him the truth. That you and Suguru were millimeters away from kissing. That one second longer and you would have surrendered yourself to Suguru without a second thought. If you told him the truth, maybe you both could move past this and even if things ended now, remain friends.

"Y/n. Look at me and tell me the truth. Is what Utahime said true?"

You opened your eyes, holding back the tears that threatened to spill and locked eyes with Satoru. And they told him everything he needed to know. He let out something between a laugh and a scoff, shaking his head as he turned to stare out of the driver's side window.

"All the time you've been spending at the apartment...was that for me or for Suguru?"

You swallowed, finding your voice. "Both", you answered honestly. Your eyes stayed on the back of Satoru's head, the loss of his stare giving you the strength to speak now that his eyes weren't peering through you.

"Is Suguru why you never wanted to do anything more than kiss when you stayed over?"

"No." This question touched a nerve. You and Satoru had never slept together - that was true, but it was not because of Suguru. You simply were not ready to take that next step with him. He always told you this was okay, but clearly he was feeling petty enough to bring it up now so it must have hurt him.

He hummed. "And the times when I wasn't at the apartment...when it was just you and Suguru waiting for me to get back... did anything happen?"

"No" , you stressed to him.

"Do you have feelings for him?"

You were quiet again. This is the question you feared answering the most because saying it out loud meant that it was real. Your feelings for Suguru were real and not only did you know how you felt, two important people in your life would then see how you felt. There was no denying this. You let the question hang between you and Satoru briefly, turning it over in your head before you breathed out, "yes" .

A deep sigh escaped Satoru and you felt you needed to scramble to save at least a friendship from this, the words falling out of your mouth like vomit.

"Satoru, I'm sorry. I do care about you. I really do, it's just -"