‟ LUCKY TO HAVE YOU „

Start from the beginning

Following training, the boys had visited her office to apologize for blaming her, having actually spoken to Ted about Jamie joining the team.

And found out that Ted had declined Jamie's request to rejoin.

"It's about to start, Cal."

"I'll be out in a minute," He replied. Tate shrugged a shoulder, burrowing herself deeper under the blankets on Callum's couch, bowl of popcorn in her lap, Sky Sports on the television.

Keeley had texted her earlier in the day, reminding her that Roy's first time trying out a pundit gig was that night. She had assured her that she would watch despite having plans to stay at Callum's overnight—though he was going through some last minute paperwork in his home office.

Tate's phone buzzed from somewhere in the pile of blankets. After a moment of searching, she finally retrieved it, finding a text from a number not in her contacts.

New Message from Unsaved Number:

You've probably heard already but Ted said no.

Jamie, then.

She frowned, more guilt weighing on her. There was something about Jamie fucking Tartt that she couldn't shake, something about him that wedged into her heart and ached for empathy.

But she couldn't forget the way the rest of the boys felt. She was trapped in the middle between them, an uncomfortable pressure put on her.

Message Sent to Jamie Tartt:

I did. Sorry, Jamie.

He probably wouldn't text her again; she wasn't even sure why he had bothered to text her in the first place—

New Message from Jamie Tartt:

What are you up to tonight, then, babe?

Tate rolled her eyes, but she couldn't stop the grin on her face.

Message Sent to Jamie Tartt:

Watching Roy's new pundit gig on Sky Sports. You should watch it, too. It's starting right now.

The Sky Sports theme played through the television, the four pundits seated across the table. Roy was busy raising the height of his stool at first, and Tate stuck her tongue out at Richmond's ex-head coach, George.

New Message from Jamie Tartt:

Fuck no. Don't want that old prick's face in me home.

"Cal, you're missing it!" Tate shouted, though she was met with silence. She had explained to him how important this was, how much Roy meant to her, and Callum had promised he would sit and watch it with her.

New Message from Jamie Tartt:

Christ he looks like he's at a funeral. George looks like shit, too.

Tate bit her bottom lip to try and stop her grin. At least Jamie would watch it with her, even if he acted like he didn't like Roy.

Message Sent to Jamie Tartt:

Hey, sometimes Roy wears dark heather grey. Really livens up his wardrobe. And has George ever looked like anything other than shit?

As Tate sent the text, Roy's cursing filled Callum's living room, causing her to wince. He definitely wasn't supposed to do that.

New Message from Jamie Tartt:

I'd do numbers if I was there. Have you seen me face?