Part 25: Yearning

Start from the beginning

Her jaw drops. "How can you say that?"

"Ever tried peach schnapps?"

Chewing her lip again, she shakes her head and he chuckles before walking over to the cabins and pulling out a shot glass. With amusement in his eyes he opens the bottle and pours her present into it.

"Do it!" He grins. "Drink it!"

Gulping, she stares at it. His reaction makes her hesitate. For a second she's scared it might be poisoned, until she remembers that she bought this stuff.

With further hesitation, she grabs for the glass and swallows its contents in a single gulp. The moment the sweet, artificial peach booze touches her tongue Anya grimaces and gags loudly.

"Fuck!" she whines. "This is horrible!"

Kyun laughs while closing the bottle. "But I appreciate the effort!"

Disgusted, she spits into the sink, so eager to cleanse the gross taste from her tongue before she takes a deep breath.

"Okay. Sorry for that. But luckily I also got you this!" With a proud smile she grabs the paper bag filled with peaches. "Chose them all by myself! All according to your criteria!"

Kyun's eyes sparkle as she passes him the bag. While he opens and scrutinizes it, Anya stands on her tiptoes and kisses his cheek, softly. "Thanks for the necklace!"

With his face so close to hers, her voice is barely a whisper. He turns his head and looks at her for a long, breathtaking moment.

"You're welcome!" he replies in an equally low voice and her heart skips a giant beat. Again she restrains the urge to hug him.
She increases the distance, clears her throat and walks over to her luggage.

"What are your plans for tonight? It's New Year's Eve!" Kyun says and watches Anya sitting on the floor in the living room, rummaging through the pile of stuff in her suitcase. Unpacking is almost unnecessary since she basically lives out of a suitcase, but she should at least make sure to take out the dirty laundry.

Tired, she lifts her head. "There's a reason I came home early. Because all I want is to sleep! Seriously. Out of all holidays on this planet, New Year's is the worst. Even worse than Valentine's!"

"Why?" he asks and she shrugs without looking at him.

"Because everyone expects the night to be epic! New year, new me, ew!" She cringes. "I wanna stay at home!"

And she's so not in the mood for another New Year's where she has to watch everyone in her surroundings getting their New Years' kiss while all she gets to kiss is her champagne glass. She really doesn't mind being single. Not even on Valentine's Day. But on New Year's it always hits her hard and she has no idea why.

"But I don't want you to stay at home!" the demon complains and Anya throws her head back, groaning.

"Oh Kyun, come on!"

"Look at all these invitations!" he says and takes the envelopes from the kitchen counter. "There's even one from Taylor! You love her! You should go!"

Bringing Taylor into this is such an unfair move. Yes, she loves her. One of the superficial friendships she actually cherishes. But Taylor is taken too. As happy as she is for her, she can already see her making out hardcore with her boyfriend at midnight. She only worsens Anya's distress.

"But I don't want to!" She's becoming pissed. But she doesn't seem to be the only pissed person in this room because suddenly Kyun crouches down to her and grabs her jaw a little ungently.