My Dearest Soldier

May 2012

Bucky absentmindedly looked around and found a trunk.

He slowly opened it to find it contained old war memorabilia.

A yellowed piece of paper caught his attention. He picked it up and gingerly opened it to see Mattie's handwriting.

'My Dearest Soldier,

Bucky, I beg of you, don't be mad at me, but I intend to go on the mission with you. Call it a sixth sense, fate, or God's hand or whatever you so choose. But I feel there's something telling me to go, so I'll listen.

I just needed you to know, if I don't get another chance, I love you, and I think I have for awhile. I mean, a girl doesn't easily forget someone who saved her from death itself on a frigid winter's night.

Bucky, whatever comes of this, whatever your life, and Steve's, may be after the war, I pray it ends soon, promise me you'll take care of yourselves. Try not to let Steve beat up anyone in alleys and watch for him picking fights. As for you, my dearest soldier, live a life you deserve. If something happens to me, though I pray it doesn't, move on with your life. Be happy.

Tomorrow will certainly be an adventure. A terrifying, intense one, but aren't all adventures?

Yours forever, Mattie'

Bucky held the letter close to his heart and wept.

He'd wished to hear her one last time, and he had, though through her words, but he would take her in any way he could get.

"I miss you, Mattie," he whispered.