Captain America and his Howling Commandos fought HYDRA.

While watching a movie of Captain America and his Howling Commandos, Bucky appeared on screen next to Steve. Mattie, who insisted on being near Bucky after what happened, appeared next to Bucky and cuddled into him. Bucky kissed the top of her head before turning back to the map with a concentrated expression.

Peggy noticed a picture of herself in Steve's compass. Colonel Phillips glanced at her and she looked away with a smile.

---

Bucky, Mattie and Steve were on a snow-covered mountain while the Howling Commandos prepared to zipline onto the train.

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah, and I threw up?" Steve replied.

"This is payback, isn't it?"

"Now why would I do that?" Steve answered in a smug tone.

Mattie glanced at Steve. "Honestly, I wouldn't put it past you."

Steve chuckled softly and gazed out across the white mountainous valley.

Bucky turned to Mattie and said, "While I wish you were safe at base, I'm glad you're here. Doll, if something happens to me-"

Mattie shook her head and cut him off. "No, please don't say that."

"Mattie, I need you to let me finish. Please. If something happens to me, I want you to live your life. Move on."

"Bucky, we're all gonna get out of there just fine."

"Mattie. Promise me. Please."

Mattie nodded slowly. "Okay."

He smiled and kissed her softly, resting his forehead to hers, trying to come to terms with all that could happen.

"We were right," Gabe Jones said. "Dr. Zola's on the train. HYDRA dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle. Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

"Let's get going, because they're moving like the devil," James Montgomery warned.

"We only got about a ten-second window," Steve informed. "You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield."

"Mind the gap."

"Better get moving, bugs!" Dum Dum Dugan said.

"Maintenant!" Jaques Dernier yelled as Steve, Bucky, Mattie and Gabe ziplined onto the train.

(Now!)

Dr. Zola, watching Steve on a monitor as he fought his way through the train, cried, "Stop him! Fire again!"

Steve noticed Bucky and Mattie on the other side of the door.

Bucky pulled Mattie behind him and shot the man coming for them.

Bucky had run out of bullets. He ducked behind a pile of crates, once again pulling Mattie with him.

Steve opened the door, nodded to his friends, and tossed Bucky the gun. Bucky caught the gun.

Steve darted forward and pushed a crate, causing the HYDRA soldier to move to one side.

Bucky shot the HYDRA soldier and killed him before saying, "I had him on the ropes."

"I know you did," Steve replied as another trooper with a blaster appeared. "Get down!"

"Fire again!" Dr. Zola ordered. "Kill him! Now!"

Bucky picked up the shield and continued firing.

Mattie looked between the robotic man and Bucky, quickly pushing the man she cared for out of the way before grabbing the shield.

"What are you doing?!" Bucky cried.

"Saving your life!" she yelled.

The robotic man fired again and Mattie was blasted through a hole.

Bucky ran to the hole and carefully climbed along the side, closer to Mattie.

Her eyes were wide as she screamed and yelled, "I'm slipping!"

"Hang on, Mattie!" Bucky shouted. "Give me your hand, doll."

As Mattie reached for his hand, she slipped. Bucky barely managed to grab her.

Steve shot the robotic man, knocking him down and ran to the hole in the train.

"Bucky! Mattie!" Steve yelled, moving to get his friends. "Hang on! Grab my hand!" Mattie, braving the worst, after a trusting nod from Bucky, tried to grab Steve's hand, but couldn't and fell. "NO!"

"Mattie!" Bucky cried.

As Mattie fell, she let out a scream that Bucky knew would haunt him for all the rest of his days.

Steve rested his head against the side of the train in shame. Bucky blinked back tears as he looked at where Mattie had fallen.

Bucky's eyes flicked to where Mattie had fallen. He had let her go, though not by choice.

He had failed her.

---

Mattie whimpered as she held her injured arm. She glanced to see that her arm was nearly gone. She whimpered and struggled to stay awake, but found it increasingly difficult.

How long had she been laying there? The frigid air had become numb. Numbness was never a good sign. Her teeth chattered and though she tried, she couldn't seem to get warm.

Eventually she began succumbing to the notion of slumber.

Her eyelids felt heavy and as she struggled to keep them open, she swore she heard Bucky say, "Stay awake, doll."

"So sleepy," she drawled. "So cold."

Her eyelids, still feeling heavy, closed.

Death truly was an old friend.

But that was a kind fate compared to what was coming.