v o l c a n o

this was for the heart. 

there's four kinds of melodies according to Han. 

first for the ears; delightful to listen to and that tickle your auditory senses, making you feel so much but only for so long. like an impulse these travel throughout your body, electrifying you briefly before the momentum dies down and you're back to normal. 

second for the brain; mostly experienced by artists and producers, people who work on music behind the stage. these have an intellectual quality that engages the brain, challenging one's musical understanding as it makes you see the music for what it technically is; a couple of sound waves travelling through a medium. pitch, frequency, harmonics, overtones, resonance, acoustics.. yeah, not the most fun.

third, his personal favourite, for the heart. these enter through your ears but instantly find a direct path to your heart, transporting you to a specific time, place or memory. they possess an emotional depth that can evoke a profound range of feelings within you, making you resonate with them.

and last, for the soul. the rarest of rare harmonies that bypass the realm of the being, connecting two souls in an unending symphony. these linger in your senses long after the song has already ended, allowing you to experience catharsis. Han had unfortunately never experienced one of these before. 

but he knew what he was listening to right now, was for the heart.

he bobbed his head to the beat of the rhythm, arms crossed over his chest as he observed the man sitting beside him focus his entire energy on what he heard in his headsets. his sleek fingers mindfully twisted various different knobs on the synthesizer, tweaking the track here and there as if trying to align it to a set pattern in his mind. 

"ugh! something isn't right" Chan groaned as he took off his headphones and arched back in his chair, eyes boring holes into the laptop screen that displayed a workspace with small colorful snippets of waveforms overlapping each other, showcasing an audio track.

"w-why though? I think it sounds amazing-" Han hesitantly reassured, slightly confused himself as to why the elder didn't seem to like it. he could already sense this was one of his better tracks, easily. 

"no, you don't understand. It doesn't-", Chan stopped midway, suddenly very aware of Han's presence in the studio as he cleared his throat and turned back to the screen, "never mind, I'll fix this. I just have to set the tempo right and finalize the chord progression. I'll arrange it by tonight", he declared as he shifted in his seat to face Han again.

"but yeah, this is the track I've been working on. I'll send it to you whenever I'm done with it." Chan explained as Jisung only nodded in response. he was a little confused as to why he was called in separately to review a track when they did it anyway in their weekly 3racha meetings. 

"cool. It's a beautiful track and I'm sure Seungmin will love this!" Han smiled at him as he could tell from how the track sounded that his fellow day6 fanboy would love to sing along to it.

 "oh, but it's not for the group", Chan stated as he looked at the younger who seemed puzzled, "I want you to write this song."

"m-me?"

"yeah, you. I feel like this suits your style a lot and I want to see what you can make out of this." Chan smiled softly as he assured the boy in front of him, "of course only if you'd want to. I'll let Changbin take a look at this later if you don't think this is for you, but for now I want you to have it."

"o-oh, thank you hyung. I love it!", Han exclaimed, equally happy and surprised at what the leader had for him. it wasn't very out of character for Chan to give the members their own small projects from time to time to groom them as individual artists but he wouldn't have imagined having an entire track for himself.