Caught#04-over coffee

"An old friend of mine", mum tilts her head slightly, towards Marion, and proceeds to offer everyone coffee.

 She holds the tray to Marion first. The three strangers (well, they are to me, if not to mum) give a polite 'thank you', as they take their cup.

Our family sits facing the other three, the coffee table between us. We've coincidentally split into perfect teams of three, between the two couches.

"Who are you, and what are you here for?" Autry doesn't hesitate or falter. Despite mum's overall neutrality, Autry is still suspicious of these people. I don't blame him.

"They're ghouls, just like us, Autry", mum puts a hand on Autry's arm. A gesture of reassurance. For some reason, I feel that these people were definitely not like us in any way.

"Have they learnt how to use their kagune yet?", Marion asks, having already drank her coffee. Autry hasn't even touched his. And neither have I. Autry's remains on the tray, and mine is still steaming in my hands.  

"Well, Autry does", mum replies. I remind myself to ask Autry later, about this 'kagune' business.  

"Ah, your eldest", Marion clicks open the three latches on Meredith's silver case. "Look, I get that you need to be careful these days, and seeing as it'll probably get harder for things to continue as they are, what do you say, Stella? Can you decide? I mean, I think-"

"Woah, woah, woah", Autry holds up a palm, interrupting Marion, "what on Earth are you going on about?". I could've sworn Autry's mouth twitched, as if he were holding back a swear.

"It would be much safer", Marion continues, ignoring Autry completely. She sets aside the still unopened case, and stands up with her empty mug. "Anyone finished their coffee yet?", she walks over to me and my unsipped mug. Mum replies a 'no', when Marion makes a move to take it, but then draws her hand back. "Ah, seems you haven't finished yours", she ruffles my hair. This familiar gesture then reminds me of the lady who first brought us here and gave us our false documentation. The one with the black mask and red lips. But today, she doesn't smell in the least, like aftershave. And her hair is blonde.  

She goes to the kitchen, and we hear the tap running, as Marion washes her mug (Mum tries in vain, to tell Marion that she should just leave the mug in the sink).  Then the metallic vibration, as she sets it down to dry.

In the awkward silence that ensues, I manage a few sips of the coffee. Autry and I wait patiently for mum to say something. Meredith and the hat-guy are stone-still. Not to my surprise.

Not wanting to waste the coffee, I drink down about half, feeling self-conscious of every little sound I make.

"So, have you thought about it yet? He would be safer, happier. It's not too late for him to have a normal life-"

"Just stop!" Mum cuts in. Is Marion talking about dad? Does that mean dad is still alive?  

"Kiev", mum speaks to me.

"Uh, yes?". I want to know more!

"Go to your room", and . . . mum gives the death sentence. "You can leave the mug on the tray, and finish one of the reading exercises, okay?", she smiles to say that whatever-situation is under control. To me, it's out of reach, and I'll probably have to ask Autry about what they spoke about without me, later.

It is only when I fully close the door to my room, that they start talking again. I can only pick up muffled vibrations. I just feel too lazy and tired, so stop halfway through the comprehension questions.

Oh, the irony, I just had coffee, and yet my eyelids feel heavy. I pack up my pencils in the pencil case Autry got for me with his first wage from a part-time job at the local shopping centre. The blue and grey zippers start to blur into a moss-coloured mud before my eyes.

When I lie on my bed, I suddenly remember that I should probably turn off the light first. But I just feel so tired-