Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Exactly, so what did you have to lose? Why didn't you ask her out?" I implored, shoving my guilt deep into my heart. Tony didn't say anything at first, but I saw a shadow pass over his face.

"Well, there were times when I thought that she liked someone else."

"Thought what?" I pushed.

Tony looked back at me. "Wouldn't it be strange if Nina visited Reid?"

My heart leapt to my throat. If Tony learned that I kissed Nina, he'd never forgive me. But he obviously didn't know about it yet.

"Why would it be?" I said evasively. I hated that I couldn't be straight with him, when I was usually so forthright. Another thing that Nina had done to me.

"I never thought that they were friends. I didn't remember Reid talking once to Nina before the crash, and now she's seeing him at my parents' house? I can't be the only person questioning her intentions." Tony said.

"If only you knew." I muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I said quickly, "I wouldn't think about it, if I were you. Reid and Nina are friends, nothing more."

"I hope so, because Mallory deserves better."

I groaned, rubbing my eyes with my palms. "Don't even. I have no idea what's going on with her either."

He suddenly looked pensive. "Would it be a bad time to tell you that Reid's taking her on a date tomorrow?"

My head whipped around to look at him. "What? Like an actual date?"

"Yeah, they've fixed it at that new restaurant in the evening."

"You should have lead with that, Tony." I said. I didn't know what to think.

Tony sighed. "I just got my heart broken, Cleo, give me a break."

"But don't you feel it?"

"Feel what?" he asked, with a quizzical expression.

"All day, I've felt like something bad is about to happen. Maybe it's to do with their date tomorrow." I suggested.

Tony laughed under his breath. "Something worse than this? I'll believe it when I see it."

Once I left Tony's house, I knew I needed my own comfy apartment, a bag of Doritos and a good rom-com. But apparently, when I stepped out of the elevator, fate had something else in mind for me. 

Nina was waiting outside my door. Once I saw her, I jabbed at the button to close the doors, but it was too late. She walked over and wedged her foot in the doors, forcing them to rear open again.

The smile she gave me was caustic, if slightly bitter. "And I thought you'd want to see me again."

I tried to look clueless. "What gave you that impression?"

She rolled her eyes. "Geez, I don't know, Cleo. What about the kiss you initiated this afternoon? Don't tell me that it was a mistake."