Chapter 3

The next few months were typical, army wise. They were taking their precious time choosing their super-soldier, much longer than they were meant to. Peg and I had smoothed things over between us, and she had been keeping me in the know. 

She said Phillips was considering making me more than a soldier, and potentially promoting me to be an agent, like her. I didn't know what it was about me that made him want to move me up the rank, but I was thrilled. Peggy told me not to get my hopes up.

Steve and I had been getting closer, talking more and such. During training we would stand together in formation, and run together. He wasn't too fast, but he made an effort to keep up with me. He was usually the last one to finish, and as much as I sympathized him standing out, I wouldn't be caught dead being the last to finish a run between a dozen men. 

He had also told me many a tale about his friend, Barnes, during training. By the three month point, I was highly intrigued to meet him, but I knew that probably wouldn't happen, at least not for a long while.

★★★★★

My eyes didn't want to open, but my body was being shaken awake by one of my cabin mates.

"Five more damn minutes, Elliot. The alarm clock hasn't even rung yet." I said into my pillow.

"Agent Carter."

I tossed in my cot and said, "I'm not amused, Elliot, I'm tired. I need my soldier sleep, we've talked about this."

His voice got louder, "Agent Jeanette M. Carter, sit up and look at me so I can talk to you."

My brows furrowed into my pillowcase and I sat up. I rubbed my eyes and saw Phillips stood at the side of mine and Johnny's bunk. 

"Congratulations, Carter, it's moving day for you. It's official, you're an agent now. Margaret and I expect you in my tent in fifteen minutes for a briefing." He said and left the cabin.

I ran through my hair and scratched my head. I was excited, and definitely ready, but I was also a little sleepy.

"Let me guess, five more minutes?" Dave asked.

"You know me too well, my friend." I said as I snuggled back under my thin blanket.

A short while later, Dave woke me up and practically pulled me down the bunk ladder. He directed me behind my stapled up sheet and handed me my uniform. 

Once I was all dressed and ready, I gave my cabin mates what we all assumed to be final goodbyes, and went on my way. As thrilled as I was to be in a more important position, I knew I would miss those three (not so much Elliot).

When I got to Phillips' tent, he quickly broke down what being an agent meant for me. He said I would still fight in the war, but from an additional angle. He told me that meant I would still be physically fighting, and also be doing things behind the scenes, like Peggy majorly did. 

He shook my hand and gave me a new uniform, along with a new name tag. It said Agent J. Carter. I noticed Peggy's was different than before, and it now said Agent M. Carter.

Phillips left the tent shortly to guide the daily training. I hugged Peggy and we shared smiles and laughs. 

She showed me to my new quarters, which had a stand-alone cot and a built in restroom. The whole nines.

"Not too shabby?" Peggy asked.

"Are you kidding? This is great!" I said.

 There was a nightstand, and a dresser all to myself.

"Now, what Phillips gave you is just the standard uniform, but I'll take you to town tomorrow to get some more. If Phillips gives you any trouble, tell him to contend with me."