Chapter 2 - The Other Side

Screech dashed into the room, bouncing in the air in excitement.

"SEEK!" Screech yelled. "I KILLED ONE OF THE WANDERERS! I DID IT!" 

Seek opened its eye briefly before it looked up from what it was seemingly fiddling with, greeting Screech with a closed smiling eye. "Congratulations, Screech. I'm proud of you."

"YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN IT! THEY DIDN'T SUSPECT A THING WHEN I SNEAKED  UP ON HIM AND-"

"Shh." Seek whispered, laying its finger upon Screech's lips. "I know you're excited, and I'm glad you are, but don't strain your voice."

"Right." Screech replied, dropping its voice down to a light whisper, still holding a gleeful smile on its face. 

"You got it." Seek nodded in affirmation. "Now, why don't you tell me about how you succeeded in claiming that wanderer?" 

"I did what you suggested! I targeted someone who was already hurt, and I waited for them to be distracted before I jumped them!  It was great!" Screech cheerfully muttered. 

"I'm grateful you listened to my advice. It's good news that it worked well." Seek replied.

"Yep!" Screech replied, tilting itself upwards slightly in triumph. 

As Screech looked down, it noticed Seek had already gone back to fidgeting with the plastic tin. 

"So," Screech questioned, "What's that you're holding?" 

After a pause from Seek, it turned the tin around, showing the unique symbols on the plastic.

"It's called a Braille decoder." Seek explained. "It's the alphabet, just with different symbols representing each letter."

"Why are you so focused on it, though?" Screech inquired.

Seek stood up, looking to the ground as it brought the decoder closer to Screech. Screech used one of its tentacles to feel the plastic, noticing the bumps in the material.

"Those protrusions aren't like that for no reason, you see." Seek began. "Each one of those are placed along a two by three grid. That's how you tell which symbols are what in sentences. I have been practicing reading this through touch alone."

"But why?" Screech asked.

"You know of the Fleshy One by now, yes?" Seek asked for confirmation.

"You've only been able to directly tell me about it, so yes." Screech replied.

"This alphabet can be read without a need for sight if one learns it that way. I'm trying to learn it this way myself so I may be able to teach the Fleshy One how to read through it." Seek clarified.

"Oh! That way it can finally read all its books!" Screech loudly exclaimed in realization.

"Indeed, that is the reason why I want to teach it how to read braille."

"Oh! Can I help?" Screech asked.

"Of course, unless you have to get to work on something." Seek responded, sitting back down against the wall, motioning Screech to float next to it. Without another word, Screech darted to the spot Seek was motioning it towards, looking at the plastic intently.

"Screech, you've written the same sentence three times." Seek said lightheartedly, casting its finger along the pebbles Screech laid out on the floor.

"You know it's the same sentence, though!" Screech countered. "If you didn't, it'd be clear you didn't get something."

"I see. That's quite a good idea, Screech." Seek replied.