A Commotion

It was the middle of the day and Myungsim felt like her body was on fire. She'd been sweating so much these days. Summer and pregnancy were not a good combination.

She was sweating so much that she needed to hydrate herself more frequently than usual, but it also meant she had to pee a lot, and the walk from the nurses' station to the toilet had her sweating again. It was a hellish cycle she wouldn't wish on anyone.

Some days, she questioned her sanity and couldn't believe she actually wanted this. Not one book she read warned her about the humiliation and how degraded she'd feel for being pregnant–not all the time, but most days, that was how she felt.

Like today. She was on her nth run to the toilet because other than she'd been drinking a lot of water, her son probably thought kicking her bladder was a great way to pass the time. She sighed as she washed her hands for the nth time, willing to rid herself of the overwhelming emotions raging inside her. She felt so sorry for herself for having to go to the toilet so many times a day. It seemed silly but it was starting to ruin her entire day. Just another revelation. No one gave her enough warning about how wacked up her emotions would be.

Checking herself in the mirror, she couldn't see the 'pregnancy glow' everyone raved whenever they saw her. All she could see was her tired eyes and dry skin.

She hated being pregnant. She concluded.

Just as she reached the ICU bay coming from the toilet, a commotion erupted.

A patient's exasperated relative was causing a ruckus, arms flailing wildly, as he protested vehemently against his father's treatment. His loud shouts echoed through the halls, attracting the attention of every staff member within earshot.

With her pregnant senses on high alert, Myungsim turned towards the source of the commotion just in time to see a man charging towards her. Panic swept across her face as she braced herself for impact, knowing that her precarious balance was no match for his determined charge.

"Watch out!" she squealed, her hands automatically cradled her belly, but her plea went unheard amidst the chaos.

The man, fueled by his irrational desire to relocate his father from the hospital, collided with Myungsim. The collision sent her wobbling precariously, her arms flailing like windmills as she fought to regain her balance.

All eyes turned toward the spectacle. The nurses and patients watched in fear as the heavily pregnant head nurse teetered on the brink of toppling over. The room fell silent, as if time itself had paused to witness this absurd moment.

It was fate that Kim Sabu was making his way towards the ICU bay. His eyes widened as he witnessed what happened. His instinct kicked in, paired with a sudden burst of adrenaline. In his blue scrubs, he sprinted towards Myungsim and leaped into action.

In one swift motion, Kim Sabu caught Myungsim just as she teetered on the edge of disaster. He wrapped his strong arms around her, pulling her into an embrace that seemed to defy gravity. The two of them stood frozen in time, their bodies locked in a comical dance of imbalance.

A collective sigh of relief could be heard in the ICU bay as everyone witnessed how Kim Sabu managed to save the nurse from the disaster.

Kim Sabu, his face flushed with both exertion and embarrassment, gently steadied Myungsim. "Are you alright, Sussaem?" he asked, concern etched into his voice.

Myungsim, her eyes wide with surprise, managed to catch her breath. She peered up at the doctor, still a little shaken. "Yes, yes–I'm alright. Gomawo, Kim Sabu."

Somewhat reassured, he straightened up and pulled Myungsim too. He gave her a once over, double checking if she really was okay.

Satisfied and relieved, Kim Sabu's face transformed to a simmering anger as he shifted his gaze to the rowdy man who almost injured his wife. His eyes narrowed, and his jaw clenched as he caught sight of him standing at the fringes of the crowd.

Without a word, Kim Sabu strode purposefully towards him, the aura of his surgical authority radiating around him. The hallway fell into an anticipatory hush as the two men locked eyes.

The man, taken aback by Kim Sabu's fierce determination, swallowed hard and took a step back. "I–I didn't mean to..." he stammered, his voice barely audible amidst the suddenly deafening silence.

Kim Sabu's voice cut through the tension like a scalpel. "You put my wife and unborn child in danger," he said, his tone filled with controlled fury. "What you did was unacceptable, reckless, and completely uncalled for."

It was very rare that he addressed Myungsim as his wife while at work, but given his heightened emotion, he didn't get to choose his words carefully. He was livid.

The man wilted under Kim Sabu's intense gaze, realizing the gravity of his actions. He bowed his head in shame, regret etched across his face. "Jo–joesonghamnida," he mumbled, his voice trembling.

Kim Sabu took a deep breath, his anger tempered by a hint of compassion.

He stepped closer to the man, his voice softening. "You must understand that this hospital is dedicated to saving lives. We have a duty to care for our patients, even if they resist it. Your actions endangered not only your father but also the lives of those who dedicate themselves to healing."

The man nodded, tears welling up in his eyes. "I–I was just scared. I didn't want to lose my father," he admitted, his voice laced with vulnerability.

Kim Sabu's stern expression softened as he placed a hand on the man's shoulder, offering a moment of solace. "I understand your fear, but there are better ways to channel it. Let's work together to provide the best care for your father. We are here to help."

The tension in the hallway began to dissipate as the onlookers observed this unexpected display of compassion and forgiveness. The realization that even in moments of anger, empathy could prevail, spread throughout the crowd.

Myungsim remained in her spot and saw the entire exchange between Kim Sabu and the patient's relative.

Her eyes twinkled with admiration towards the man she chose to marry and have this child with. She knew he had his flaws, however, no one would be able to deny his perpetual compassion and care towards their patients. It was also what made him the best man and the best doctor in her eyes. Her heart swelled with pride knowing she did well in choosing her partner in life.

fin.