Pants

Myungsim sat on the edge of the bed, surrounded by a pile of discarded pants. Her frustration grew with each failed attempt to find something that would comfortably fit her pregnant belly. She sighed in frustration, feeling on the verge of tears. Her emotions, fueled by her hormones, were threatening to overwhelm her.

Boo Yongju entered their bedroom, concern etched on his face as he saw his wife's distress.

"What's going, yeobo?" He gently asked as his hand rubbed his wife's back.

Biting her lower lip to control her emotions, her chin quivered. "I can't take this pregnancy anymore–none of my pants fit! How am I going to Seoul and meet eonni?!" she sniffled. "I can't just wear a shirt and no pants–"

Boo Yongju accidentally let out a snort, unable to control his imagination when his wife said she couldn't go to Seoul with just her shirt on and no pants.

"Gaesaekk–it's not funny!" Myungsim shouted, hitting her husband's arm in frustration. How could he laugh when I'm on the brink of tears?

"Mianhae, yeobo–" he consoled his wife and wrapped his arm around her, "We'll find a way–what about a dress? We're taking the car so you can wear a comfortable dress and not worry about having to transfer from one bus to another,"

Myungsim sniffled, contemplating if she had a dress she could wear instead. Remembering one of her old stretchable dresses, her eyes brightened with hope. She waddled to their closet, rummaging through her clothes. She pulled out a simple cream colored flowy dress that could accommodate her growing bump. She tried it on and twirled a little, a smile gracing her face.

She faced her husband, beaming. Her mood shifted completely.

Yongju grinned, his eyes sparkling with pride. "You look absolutely radiant, jagiya. The dress suits you beautifully."

Myungsim blushed, feeling a surge of confidence wash over her. "Gomawo. I was so worried earlier–" she explained but gasped when she felt the baby kick.

Yongju noticed right away the weird bump caused by their baby's feet, having his gaze fixed on his wife's belly. He couldn't help the laughter that bubbled up his throat. "Looks like the little guy also approves," he chuckled, but got worried seeing Myungsim winced, a look of pain crossing her face.

"Are you alright?" Yongju stood up from the bed and walked towards Myungsim. "Myungsim, breathe!" he chided, noticing Myungsim was holding her breath from pain.

Myungsim bent forward as she released a long breath. This wasn't the first time her baby kicked her internal organs hard but she could never get used to it.

Yongju was holding her, preventing her from falling over. Myungsim used her husband's arm to gather enough strength and finally stood up straight.

She sighed as she shook her head in disbelief. "Your son really likes stomping hard on my organs at any given time," she whined but also chuckled at the ridiculousness of the situation.

Yongju soothed his wife by gently rubbing his hands on her belly. "He just likes to remind us that he's here."

"Oh I never forget–trust me," she quipped. She let out another breath and stepped away from her husband. She loved him dearly but lately, he had the tendency to hover so much and it annoyed her to pieces. "Give me a few minutes and I should be ready," she added and smiled at Yongju.

"Okay." The doctor nodded and planted a quick peck on her lips before he walked away.

fin.