Chapter Eighteen | Nick

Start from the beginning

My dad clears his throat and but his smile remains intact. You never know who's watching and ready to publish a story about how Rosemary Beach's royal family isn't as perfect as everyone thinks we are. "Anyways, I'm glad you're here." He pats my shoulder once more before going over to talk to someone else.

"That looked tense."

I turned my head to the newcomer's voice. It was Kay-- the pretty brunette from the brunch on my first day back. She's just as pretty as I remember her to be. Her chestnut brown hair lays in layers over her shoulders and she was dressed to kill in a black dress and black heels.

"Long time no see." I greet her.

"Yeah. I think the last time we saw each other you were sneaking out of the house before your mother could even finish making introductions." She says, clearly remembering that morning.

"I'm sorry. My mother knew I wasn't interested in seeing anyone and she just sprung you on me. I wasn't expecting you and it took me by surprise. I should've handled that better, sorry." I apologize.

"Apology accepted... if you dance with me." She says.

It wasn't a question. She's taking my hand and pulling me until we stand amongst the other dancers.

"Kay..." I try to argue, wondering where Talia was and hoped like hell she didn't see us together.

"It's the least you can do for walking out on me." She tells me as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"Forgive me." I say.

"You're forgiven. Now you just gotta take me on a date." Kay tells me.

"I can't." I tell her. "I'm seeing someone." And my mom knew that. So why the hell would she invite Kay?

"I thought you weren't interested in seeing someone right now." Kay frowns.

"I hadn't met her yet." I replied.

"She must be pretty special if she got you." Kay replies.

"She is." I agree. "Look, Kay, you're a beautiful woman. Any man would be lucky to have you."

"Just not you." She clips in.

"I'm sorry." I tell her even though I'm really not.

I don't wait for the song to be over before I excuse myself and make my way towards Talia and my sister where I catch the end of their conversation.

"Thanks. I wasn't too sure about the color." Talia says when I reach her.

"No. You look amazing." Caitlin tells her.

"I couldn't agree more." I say before I pull her into my arms, unable to stand the distance between us. "Hi."

"Hi." Her smile is breathtaking and I lean down, meeting my lips with hers in a passionate kiss.

"Little sister still here." Caitlin says, clearing her throat which forces Talia and I to break apart. I wasn't finished savoring her yet. Her lips were so soft and tasted like berries.

"Sorry." Talia blushes as she places a hand on my chest, probably hoping that would keep me at bay. The only thing stopping me from taking her mouth again was the innocent eyes of my innocent niece staring at us.

"I was just telling Talia how I absolutely love her dress. Which, she made herself by the way. Did you know she was that talented?" Caitlin sounds astonished.

"I did." I admit. "But this is the first time I'm seeing just how much."

"Well I told her she needs to make me a dress." Caitlin says.