Ch. 2: Feeding Time

After breakfast, they got into Amity's car and went to the zoo. Luz was excited to see all her little animal buddies and perform her first Alligator show with Tank.

"I can't believe Tank had opened up to you in just a few months time." Amity said to Luz.

"I know! And he's such a softy, I always knew under that angry face and scales was a big heart." Luz said back, "I can't wait to do my first show!"

"You've been saying that for two weeks." Amity said, rolling her eyes with a smile.

"That's because I'm too excited! I've wanted to do a show ever since I first learned I could speak to animals!" Luz said to her fiancé.

"And now you can."

"I can't wait to try and get my head out of his mouth before he closes it!"

"You're not doing that!"

Amity nearly drove off the road as she imagined it, immediately thinking something would go wrong!

"But it would be a crowd pleaser! I could explain how the alligator teeth need cleaning in specific areas while pointing to them." Luz said to her.

"And possibly loser you head in the process!" Amity shouted at her.

"Relax, I know Tank wouldn't do that." Luz said.

"I still don't like the risk!" Amity said as they reached the zoo.

"Don't worry, I'll be safe." Luz said, as she went to clock in and feed Tina and Tyler.

Tyler is still the cutest thing, little under 30 pounds, but he found his voice, and he absolutely adores Luz.

"LUZ!" he screamed cutely as he saw her entire the habitat, running to her with glee.

"Hello, Tyler. How's my little killer doing today?" Luz asked as she set their food down, kneeling before him.

She started scratching his neck.

"You're so cute." Luz said, making kissy faces at him.

He jumped on her and started licking her, making her laugh.

"Stop! That tickles!" Luz said.

"Tyler, let Luz up, she has work to do." Tina said.

Tina always loved to see her son so excited when Luz came by, either for a tour or for feeding time.

"But she just got here!" Tyler complained as Luz ran her fingers through his fur.

"Don't worry little guy, I always have a special treat for you." Luz said, pulling out a big rat.

Tyler roared in happiness as he jumped up, trying to reach it before Luz let him have it.

"I know they're your favorites." Luz said to him, "But before you can have it. Sit."

Though it was treating him like a dog, Luz just found it so cute as Tyler quickly did as she asked and sat up right.

"Good boy." Luz said, tossing the rat to him.

Tyler jumped into the air and grabbed the rat, biting into it as he landed on his back. It was so cute as he playfully nibbled on his food, another cute moment that made Luz love this job. Luz walked over and pet Tina, giving her the meat in the bucket.

"And here's your breakfast, Tina. Make sure Tyler eats enough." Luz said to her.

"I always do." Tina replied with a nod.

Luz got the feeding done and headed to the Gator exhibit. Currently, Tank was in the holding enclosure away from the public, so he doesn't get stressed before the show.

"Good morning, Tank." Luz said, "You ready for this?"

Tank rose to the top of the pool and looked at Luz.

"I'm not sure how I let you talk me into this." Tank said to Luz, having doubts and thinking this would be embarrassing.

"Don't worry, you'll be great. The crowd will love you. Now... try not to bite my head off." Luz said, before starting a new topic. "Hey... Tank, do you ever want to have kids of your own?"

"What's bringing this on?"

"Amity was talking about having kids, and honestly, I'm getting nervous." Luz said, "I love this girl, she's kind of a freak like me, but I'm getting jitters."

"Maybe one day it would be nice to have a family one day, but it's not like the zoo has any females." Tank said, "As for you, you're just nervous. I've seen you around her, and I can say you truly belong with her."

"Ah, thanks buddy." Luz said, "That gets you a hug!"

"No. No hugs."

Too late, Luz jumped in the pool and swam over to hug him. The things he puts up for this girl.

"You know you're ruining you uniform." Tank said to her.

"I have a backup and a towel." Luz said, still hugging him, "Besides, I'm probably going to get wet during the show."

Luz never knew alligators could roll their eyes, but she was pretty sure Tank just did.